We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From NY/NJ: better way than Route 95?

NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
From NY/NJ: better way than Route 95?

I've heard it may actually be quicker (and more pleasant) from NYC area to take Route 84 through Hartford, up to Route 90, then down 495 towards the Cape rather than taking Route 95 the whole way. Has anyone tried this?

Yahoo maps says it's only 25 miles further, so given how terrible 95 is, might actually be worth it.

Any thoughts??

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From NY/NJ: better way than Route 95?

You should ask this on the Boston forum, or just search the recent postings on the topic. People do have strong opinions. I usually take the bus and tune out, so... I'm not much help but I know that I've read recent posts on this...

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Chester, NJ
Level Contributor
159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From NY/NJ: better way than Route 95?

I've traveled to Hartford frequently and I wouldn't call 84 much if any better than 95, especially if there's construction (which seems like always). From NJ we take the Merritt (no trucks) and cut over to I-95 at Merritt exit 54. You still have to go through New Haven, but you miss a lot of the worst part of I-95.

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
MA
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From NY/NJ: better way than Route 95?

Personally, I like 84 better than 95. Coming from NY I would do 684 to 84. Waterbury and Hartford aren't much to look at but 84 is a bit more interesting than 95, with lots of curves and rolling hills. If you're looking for a more rural route to the Cape, from 84 take Rte. 6 east outside of Hartford.

Staying on 95 is the most direct route and once you get past New Haven, the traffic dies down and the scenery gets better.

84 to 90 to 495 is pretty boring and not worth the extra 25 miles out of your way. If you're traveling east on a Friday it can be extremely slow (as bad as 95...).

PS-I used to drive tractor-trailer for a living...

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
4. Re: From NY/NJ: better way than Route 95?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:39 am, September 06, 2009
;