We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard

Which Nantucket hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard

I will be traveling to Nantucket the end of August and am looking for a place to stay with my family 23-70. I am (48) and handicapped. I do not need a wheelchair unless I have long distances to walk, but I am unable to climb stairs! It looks as though there are lots of B&B's in the area and I am sure that most of them do not have elevators.Could anyone please recommend anywhere on Nantucket to stay? and since we haven't been there before we don't know what area is the best, or correct side!! Soooo, I need some help asap!!! Thanks..

Chester, NJ
Level Contributor
159 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard

Just a suggestion: check TripAdvisor's listings for hotels rather than B&Bs. Full-service hotels like Harbor House Village are more likely to be wheelchair accessible or have elevators.

Gainesville
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard

That sounds great. Will check that right now.Thank you. I have read your post before and you seem very knowledgeable in your replies!

We are also going to Marthas Vineyard for the day. Any suggestions to stay over there. Unique yet accessible. There is about 6 of us. I am trying to figure out the easiest (least amount of stops but yet not so expensive) way to get to Nantucket or Marthas Vineyard since I will need the wheelchair for the long distances (airport terminal, )have no idea what it will be like at baggage claim - where to go, bus terminal, ferry terminal., and be able to make the most of my day. Wow, I am worn out already! Looking at flying into Providence, RI at the moment. Could fly into Boston. Will be staying total of 4 nights and want to split it up. Doesn't everyone??. Any advise please!

Chester, NJ
Level Contributor
159 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard

You can fly on Cape Air to either island from Providence or Boston and fly between islands as well. Boston may give you more schedule options. See www.flycapeair.com for flights. If you're coming up from Gainesville (FL?) and not stopping anywhere else, check United Airlines and Continental also for flights to either island through LaGuardia or Newark. If you go through Boston or Newark, the airline should be able to arrange motorized transportation between gates for you and your party and transfer your luggage - probably at the other airports as well. You shouldn't need to use your own chair for the gate transfers. Call them in advance and explain your needs. If you need to transport a folding wheelchair, check with the airlines on baggage policy. If you fly Cape Air, talk to them in advance. They usually don't have a jetway - you'll have to get from the gate to the plane and up and down stairs into the plane. They should know how to deal with this. Nantucket Airport is small and all on one level. Cape Air is pretty informal - they'll probably just put the wheelchair in the back of the passenger compartment.. If you're traveling with 6, book flights ASAP - most of the flights are on small 9-10 passenger planes and you may have some trouble getting tickets for all of you on one flight.

The ferries are less expensive, but you need to get to Hyannis, which will mean flying into Providence or Boston and taking Cape Air or renting a car to Hyannis and parking. It's probably not worth it - you'd be just as well to fly direct from Providence or Boston; but check with Cape Air for prices.

Can't help you much with MV, sorry.

Gainesville
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard

This is great info! Thanks..

5. Re: Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, August 28, 2009