We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female travelling solo

South Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Female travelling solo

I will be traveliing alone to Nantucket in a few weeks for my birthday (Mid August) and I'm staying at the Easton House. Has anyone stayed there and, if so, what did you think? Also, I understand the restaurants can be difficult to get into. Being ony one diner, would I need a reservation or can I just sit at the bar in most places? Any suggestions? Last question....Can you suggest a couple of nice places to go for a drink after dinner that are not meat-markets (I'm married!)? Thank you in advance for your help!

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female travelling solo

I think if you go for a drink after dinner alone Nantucket or anywhere, you're essentially inviting the possibility of someone approaching you.... Your poor husband must feel terrible about leaving you alone on your birthday but I think dining alone is different from drinking alone. Drinking alone, I think you'll probably attract company...

Chester, NJ
Level Contributor
159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female travelling solo

We often just show up without a reservation and sit at the bar for dinner. We're not big eaters so we like just having a drink and an appetizer, but you can get full meals there, too. We've never had a problem getting a seat when we go early (before 7:00).

I can't comment on the problems a woman might face dining alone at a bar, but I'd expect these to be less at the classier restaurants as opposed to the pubs. These places also tend to have smaller bars and many of the people at the bars are waiting for tables as opposed to hanging out at the bar for the evening. The price of the drinks are pretty much the same at the fancy restaurants as anywhere else, but the food, of course, will be more expensive. You might try 21 Federal, De Marco, Oran Mor, 56 Union, Ships Inn, or, if you want to go out to Sconset, the Summer House. www.nantucket.net has restaurant listings and menus.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female travelling solo

I've been travelling alone on my birthday for years! I love it and my husband understands my desire to be alone once a year for a few days. He even pays for part of the trip! I drank alone in New Orleans! I just choose bars that attract a slightly older and calmer crowd. I like to people watch and I'm not opposed to meeting new people, I just don't want to look around and see tons of single 20- something's grabbing each other. I was just looking for a couple of nice places with great atmosphere, maybe some great music and of course great drinks!

Save Reply
4. Re: Female travelling solo

Coco Sandy,

You were a little rude and presumptuous with your post. I Love my wife, and have the utmost trust in her. If her wanting to go to Nantucket without me, and actually go out for a meal and a couple drinks is wrong in your eyes, then I would hate to hear your opinion on me sending her to Vegas for a week by herself last year. My wife is independant, works in an industry that most of the people here couldn't handle, and is trustworthy beyond reproach.

Have fun on your trip Honey, me and the boys will see you when you get back.

I Love You!

5. Re: Female travelling solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 06, 2009