We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commute to Boston from Arlington 360

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Commute to Boston from Arlington 360

I;m thinking of moving to Arlington 360. I would need to take the redline to Boston and I think the closest T stop is Alewife.

Any thoughts on the bus ride from 360 to Alewife?

Any insight on getting up the huge hill in the winter up to 360?

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

8 replies to this topic
Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commute to Boston from Arlington 360

Is this just some random apartment building in Arlington? It looks like it's pretty far from the Red Line. If I had a city commute and was relocating. I'd try and find someplace with a one-seat ride to my final destination.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commute to Boston from Arlington 360

Plug the address into the MBTA "route planner" to get an idea of the commute & costs.

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
687 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Commute to Boston from Arlington 360

It doesn't look like an easy commute. Close to a mile walk and then a bus and then a train!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Commute to Boston from Arlington 360

I have no idea what/where 360 is but I used to live in East Arlington and it took me just shy of an hour. On a per miles basis it was about as bad as it could be. I never thought to use a bike back then but it would have been much quicker. Some of my time was because my office in Boston wasn't right next to a red line station though.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
83 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Commute to Boston from Arlington 360

Commuting from Arlington 360 (which I assume is this: http://livearlington360.com/ ) to ANYWHERE on public transportation would be a nightmare. At best you'll be able to time your commute with the 67 bus to/from Alewife. That route is notoriously unreliable, especially in the winter when it is regularly diverted onto the snow route, and doesn't run at all on weekends. Good rule of thumb for Arlington: if you don't live close enough to Alewife to walk there, plan to commute by car.

Edited: 1:56 pm, October 15, 2015
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Commute to Boston from Arlington 360

Commuting by car from Arlington is definitely no picnic either not to mention the parking cost. I definitely wouldn't follow that rule of thumb for working normal hours in Boston.

Or maybe you meant take the car to Alewife? That probably makes sense in a lot of cases.

Edited: 4:30 pm, October 15, 2015
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
83 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Commute to Boston from Arlington 360

Yes - you should expect to use a car to get out of Arlington, except in some very special circumstances. Hie thee to a train (using your automobile)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Commute to Boston from Arlington 360

I know this is coming a little late, but hopefully the information is still helpful. The #67 Bus now stops up at Arlington 360 and connects to Alewife. It goes right up into the complex and runs about twice an hour, during rush hour. You can also pick that same bus up on Summer Street, at the bottom of the hill from the apartments, in case you miss it on the way up.

Another option for commuting into Boston, depending on where you work, is the commuter rail. The West Medford station is about a 10-15 minute drive and the monthly pass costs the same as the T pass (and includes T access), so it's a good deal. From West Medford, you're one stop into North Station. From there you can walk, bus or take the Orange Line & Green Line to just about anywhere in Boston. And the driving to/from West Medford is significantly better than going into Alewife, which is a nightmare in rush hour.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Reply to: Commute to Boston from Arlington 360
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arlington
More Arlington Topics