We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landings

glasgow,scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
299 reviews
225 helpful votes
Landings

We are booked on a small (100 passenger ) expedition boat ,due to call and land at Norfolk Island in January 14. One of the daily nationals is today carrying a story that the wharves are not in good condition, and cruise ships have not been landing their passengers. As this is a small ship there is every possibility that zodiac craft can be used, perhaps this is the intention, our company couldn't or wouldn't throw any light on the subject. Does anyone know anything about this situation, it will be a huge disappointment if we can't land there.Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
21,244 posts
214 reviews
465 helpful votes
1. Re: Landings

Zodiac/tenders are always reliant on weather

which cruise line?

If on silver discoverer they will do their best but won't guarantee

No cruise line ever guarantees zodiac or tender landing

glasgow,scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
299 reviews
225 helpful votes
2. Re: Landings

Thanks for your reply. The ship is the Caledonian Sky,similar to Silver Discoverer.

We are aware that no cruise will ever guarantee landings anywhere ever, we have been lucky enough to do a lot of expedition cruises and have missed landings for many reasons. But to rephrase the question, Is it already known that ships are unable to land here due to unsuitable conditions, is this happening regularly, or only to the larger cruise ships? if our landing is unlikely or impossible it is an annoyance as this is the only place we require an Australian visa for.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
21,244 posts
214 reviews
465 helpful votes
3. Re: Landings

Yes, but a 651 visa is free so it really isn't an issue to apply online and have it (UK citizen??)

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/651.aspx

very few cruise ships actually go to Norfolk island so it is impossible to extrapolate accurate data

In January you would have a higher chance of landing than in August.

Norfolk Island
Level Contributor
56 posts
90 reviews
39 helpful votes
4. Re: Landings

Getting ashore at Norfolk Island is subject to the weather & sea conditions on the day. We have no sheltered harbour, and the cruise ships have to anchor about 1km off-shore. Cruise Ships that use Zodiac's to land passengers have over 80% success rate in getting the passengers ashore. It is only the really big cruise ships that use the big ships tenders that have difficulty in getting their passengers ashore. The Caledonian Sky called at Norfolk Island earlier this year and successfully got all her passengers ashore (& back aboard) using Zodiacs.

Don't forget to look out for me when you arrive - I am the port agent for the Caledonian Sky at Norfolk Island

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
5. Re: Landings

I'll be there then for my first visit to the island so will take a look to watch you all land. On a shipping note, is there any regularity to the supplies ship arriving ie scheduled dates? I've hear it a good 'watch' when it docks and unloads...You can see I'm easily amused :)

Edited: 11:02 pm, October 24, 2014
Oz
Level Contributor
16,382 posts
50 reviews
27 helpful votes
6. Re: Landings

Hi,

The Island Trader doesn't dock. It anchors off shore and goods are ferried to the land by tender,(large whale boat), to the wharf at Slaughter House Bay . It's the most interesting thing we saw in a week on the island.

Cheers,

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,781 posts
315 reviews
640 helpful votes
7. Re: Landings

Hi OnTheGoAgain

I hope a supply ship does arrive during the time you are there. It's certainly worth watching. It will depend on the weather as to whether the ship anchors off Kingston or Cascade. It's much more interesting if it's Kingston as there are plenty of places to sit around and watch the lighters unload while sitting amongst the historical ruins.

Hopefully Endeavour3 will have some information about ships due at that time. There won't be anything in the local paper that far ahead I shouldn't think.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
8. Re: Landings

Thanks nzlilibet. A friend of friend told me about watching the supply ship should I be there when it happens. Is Endeavour 3 the name of the ship?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,781 posts
315 reviews
640 helpful votes
9. Re: Landings

Hi again

There are different ships from different shipping lines, not just one. There is a published schedule for the various ports of call, but these can be affected by the weather.

Endeavour3 is the screen name of the Norfolk Island resident who posted the information for the OP.

Edited: 11:49 pm, October 24, 2014
Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
10. Re: Landings

Ahhh :) thanks .

Get answers to your questions about Norfolk Island