We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Time to Visit ?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Best Time to Visit ?

Hello !

I am wanting to visit NI and wondered what time of year is best. I was thinking mid Jan next year until I read on another forum that cyclones and rain were common at this time !! Would I be better waiting for another time of year ? I have two kids and they were keen to swim, so I don't want to go when it's too cold.

Can anyone recommend a tour at all? Have read that they are not worth it and seeing some info from the travel agent, see that they are quite expensive. However, if one tour stands out from the rest as being excellent, I am happy to pay.

I also noticed that the package deals from the travel agents seem quite cheap until I do the sums myself and find if I book direct with the accom and air, it is significantly cheaper ! Any hidden costs I need to be aware of ??

Many thanks - cannot wait to visit. My husband is a descendant of Philip Gidley King and we are keen to discover some more about him and his time at Norfolk, My parents have been over twice and love it.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Time to Visit ?

Hi Rockytribe

January/February are the times when Emily Bay is at its warmest.

As that's one of our main reasons for visiting, of our 7 visits 6 have been in early/mid February, the 7th in March.

First the weather. Yes it is the cyclone season. The island was on watch on one occasion a few days before we left NZ - lifted before we went. On another occasion it was on alert during our visit and was lifted without incident.

Talking to locals the island seems blessed in that cyclones always seem to veer away at the last minute. I've noticed the same when I've watched events from NZ - I'm always interested in what goes on over there!

Rain - yes it can rain, but it's mainly been beautiful during our visits. On a couple of occasions planes haven't been able to get in due to low cloud and rain - seems that if Mt Pitt closes in the planes are in trouble!

On one trip the weather was quite bad for rain and mist. Only AirNZ planes seemed to be able to get in and out. Where we were staying that time was fairly high and we had a lot of rain and mist, but when we went down to sea level at Emily Bay the sun was shining and we enjoyed our swimming.

And despite being a little worried about our flight out, we left without incident.

Re bookings - the first time we booked through an agent, but since then have always booked accommodation and flights separately. Am very comfortable booking that way. Have a look at this site which will show you what's available when and for how much. Also contact the accommodation providers direct.

http://www.norfolkisland.com.au/

Re tours - our first visit included a half day orientation tour in the package. That's all we've ever felt the need to do - we're not tour type people. The only exception was a morning follow by car tour which took in the Kingston Museums and one of the restored houses. Very reasonable from memory and worth doing.

You'll obviously be reading the other posts - a recent one gives details of a society to help people tracing their ancestors. I know that we visit the cemetery each time we visit - so much history - so much sadness.

Whew - a long post, but hope it helps. Let me know if I can help further.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Time to Visit ?

If you eat fish they you MUST do the fish fry ....... we also did the bounty show , it was good but having seen it once i wouldnt do it again

I will be back there in about 10 more sleeps LOL ........our second visit for the Governors cup golf tournament but staying longer this year

And I too am a decendant of Phillip Gidley King ..... so the history side of things quite appeals to me too.......

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Time to Visit ?

thanks danaiglu ... my husband is from Sydney - his Grandma was part of the King family from Cobar - PGK is a very fascinating man !!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Time to Visit ?

Hi,

we just spent 3 weeks!!! on NI for the first time and it was amazing, we have 2 kids 3 and 10 months. The most stable and sunniest period of the year seems to be OCT / NOV and our visit was no exception, lots of sunshine and it always felt warmer than the official 19 - 22C. As for Emily Bay, a beautiful spot, obviously it is warmer in the summer, but we and our kids swam and so was everyone else, they put a pontoon out in the bay from the end of September which is great, there are no waves so the water is warmer here than elsewhere. We didn't do one tour and were glad we didn't, way overpriced and you have a car anyway and it's only 5 - 10 minutes to anywhere on the island so you can do everything yourself and save money. As for the Fish fry, it may be good but a waste of money unless you want the company of 100 people and pay over $50 per person. We went to the chook shop 6 times, got fish and chips for $21 for the whole family and drove up to Puppys point or Jacobs Point with a botle of wine and saw the sunset in peace and quiet forn$21 instead of $200!!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Time to Visit ?

We have just come back from a week on Norfolk....15 - 22 October. Loved it! But it was cool and windy....so windy and the sea so rough, the disappointed men folk did not get to go on their fishing trip. It was too cool to swim! It was a good day of course the day we left! We must have just struck a windy week! Guess it can happen any time on an island in the middle of the ocean! We too enjoyed the fish and chips from the Chook Shop and takeaways from Stefano's Italian and the Chinese Restaurant. The RSL and Bowling Club also had great meals at a cheap price. We also did our own tours..easy to do and we enjoyed buying shoes!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Time to Visit ?

Hi Bernside

Good to hear about your trip - despite the wind and cool temperatures.

Could I encourage you to do reviews of your eating experiences on the restaurant reviews section. The Chook Shop, Stefano's and the Colony Chinese are all listed ready for reviews. They then stay there for people to see in the future. You could possibly ask for the RSL and Bowling Club to be listed if you felt inclined.

Hoping for calm, warm weather when we visit again in February, but you never know on an island!

Edited: 3:15 am, October 26, 2011
7. Re: Best Time to Visit ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, October 27, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Norfolk Island