We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in the Western Balkans

Redlands
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in the Western Balkans

We are adventurous travelers considering a trip in the Western Balkans. We would rent a car and drive the Adriatic Coast from Croatia to Albania, and then up through Skopje, Kosovo, Nis, and Belgrade. Is this doable as far as language and safety is concerned? Any tips?

Mentioned in this post
Adriatic Coast
Adriatic Coast
50 Reviews
Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Albania
Albania
Europe
Skopje
Skopje
Skopje Region, Republic of Macedonia
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in the Western Balkans

It is very double as I have done something simmilar few Times.

Drive from Mmastricht in NL,to Slovenia, Croatia, Zagreb-Plitvice lakes NP, Split. Dubrovnik ( the lenth of Jadranska Magistrala Road) crosed into Montenegro, around the country small very mountainous,into Albania, than crossed into Macedonia at Qafa Tane/Struga, Macedonia, Serbia, Hungary, Austria, Germany home to Netherlands.

Problem you might have is High rental prices as you are Doping car in different country. Look who will let you do that and also are you alowed to take car into Albania. As Big companies like Dollar, Europcar and others wont let you take car into AL or Kosovo.

Green card wont Cover it. Also Serbian, Macedonian & Greek rental companies wouldnt entertain that as well.

Daying that there is excellent Public Transport in place and with Little planing you can do same & might cost you less.

Let me know if you need more roadtrip info.

Happy travels

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Albania
Albania
Europe
Serbia
Serbia
Europe
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Austria
Austria
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in the Western Balkans

If by adventurous you also mean that you like hiking, you can have a look at my VirtualTourist pages for information about hiking near Skopje (e.g. hiking from Skopje to the beautiful Matka Lake). See http://members.virtualtourist.com/pijlmans

Cheers,

Dennis

Mentioned in this post
Skopje
Skopje
San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in the Western Balkans

First of all, you are about to have the trip-of-a-lifetime. My wife and I spent five weeks in the Balkans last summer in rented car and it was incredible. I'd be happy to share any of our experiences with you. In fact, we live in San Diego and I see "Redlands" on your question so we might be neighbors.

It's very difficult to find someone who will rent a car that can go into all of those countries. It took us forever to finally find one but we did. Poliprentcar in Budapest. For one thing, the price was fair. The best part, though, was that he arranged all insurance and every document that we needed at the many border crossings. It couldn't have been easier. Contact Csaba at office@poliprentacar.com and tell him Will Hays sent you.

For the most part cities are best skipped in that region. Sarajevo is a must but the other capitals are worth a pass and the time better spent elsewhere. The missable capitals are Skopje, Pristina, and Podgorica.

Croatia will be double-to-triple the cost of all of the other countries in the region, while being 5x to 10x more crowded, the worst of both worlds. Croatia is incredibly beautiful with amazing coastline and historical sites and is flooded with Americans and Western Europeans, thus the high prices and large crowds.

If you let me now how your itinerary is shaping up I would be happy to comment. In fact, we're planning another five weeks there this summer; we loved it that much. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Sarajevo
Sarajevo
Sarajevo Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Skopje
Skopje
Podgorica
Podgorica
Podgorica Municipality, Montenegro
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Skopje, Republic of...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in the Western Balkans

Hi my name is Sasho. I'm from Skopje and I have a business with Shatel taxi and rentacar with a driver. Maybe this message is too late but I just found out about this. If you need my service I'll give you my e-mail to e-mail me:

senkov.s@hotmail.com

My business name is VIP Service Skopje. Regards.

Mentioned in this post
Skopje
Skopje
Skopje, Republic of...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in the Western Balkans

Hi my name is Sasho. I'm from Skopje and I have a business with Shatel taxi and rentacar with a driver. Maybe this message is too late but I just found out about this. If you need my service I'll give you my e-mail to e-mail me:

senkov.s@hotmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Skopje
Skopje
Skopje, Republic of...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in the Western Balkans

senkov.s@hotmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Skopje
Skopje
Boston
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in the Western Balkans

If you are crossing into Macedonia from Albania at Struga, of course you need to spend time in Ohrid.

Mentioned in this post
Albania
Albania
Europe
Ohrid
Ohrid
Southwestern Region, Republic of Macedonia
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel in the Western Balkans

Is April a good month to visit the Western Balksns?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel in the Western Balkans

Depends on what you want to do....If you want to go hiking (see my above mentioned pages), keep in mind that there still will be snow in the mountains...

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel in the Western Balkans

April weather wise will be Mixed bag. In the last 3 years April was rainy in the first half and very sunny and dry in the second half. I would pack that way to layer your clothes and adjust them acordingly. Nö sandals or flipflps but light hiking boots and trainers.

Get answers to your questions about Skopje