We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Skopje to Pristina

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
Train from Skopje to Pristina

Hi,

I had seen information that the train is no longer running - I hope this is not the case! I would be interested in taking it in summer 2018.

Does anyone have any information about this service?

Thanks,

Ralph.

41 replies to this topic
Pristina, Kosovo
Level Contributor
44 posts
1. Re: Train from Skopje to Pristina

Hi Ralph. Actually you are right . Macedonian railways aren't running the train to Pristina. Otherwise Kosovo railway company operates its international train from Pristina to Skopje daily at 07:10 AM all the way to Hani i Elezit (Kosovo-Macedonia border). At the border passengers should change the train , which is very absurd. The fault is at Macedonian Railway company, I asked them personally last month at Skopje train station and they told me that there are internal problems within the company and there is also a lack of interest to use this international line to Pristina,

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
95 reviews
78 helpful votes
2. Re: Train from Skopje to Pristina

The passenger train hasn't been running for years now..

There were two freight trains running, which had couple of carriages hooked up to it, but due to uneconomical value of it , train doesn't run and I don't blame them specially if the said route dont make money. Its the nature of the business.

Macedonian railway is going thru tracks overhauling in the country and they trains within the country are on revised schedule as well.

Thing is why you need a train when you have excellent bus connection to Prishtina, or less time and money.

There are 12 departures daily ( compared with one train, in the past) costing €5 one way and takes around 2hrs.

More info on bustimetables www.sas.com.mk

Good luck

Edited: 4:24 am, January 14, 2018
Guernsey, CI
Level Contributor
25 posts
75 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Train from Skopje to Pristina

The train is running - I took it last week. It runs once a day in each direction and was actually full as the main road between the two cities is in the process of being rebuilt and I understand that a lot of the buses are not running.

It was very cheap - 2.5 Euros from Pristina to the border and then 2 Euros from the border to Skopje (the guard did take Euros in Macedonia, thank goodness). I only know it from the other direction I am afraid, but it was very easy and the guards were very friendly (although they do not speak much English).

Tickets are bought on the train in cash. While you do have to change trains at the border, there is only one platform and the trains are next to each other and there was no waiting - they literally just take everyone off one train, onto the other and then we were off.

The Macedonia train was nicer (red leather seats and compartments). The Kosovo train was very worn and hot, but it got us there. The route gives you a fantastic view of the new road being built (it is an epic project) and also some nice scenery. Well worth the trip.

The route is not well-known, even by the locals, and our host in Pristina was actually surprised they had a train service. But it is definitely there and running.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
176 posts
33 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Train from Skopje to Pristina

I took the train last year from Skopje to Pristina. It was fun. The train from Skopje to border had only one wagon and maybe a dozen passengers. But the train from border to Pristina had several wagons and can get full as it stop at every stations. When we arrived at the border we had to wait about 15 minute before the train to Pristina arrived. Be aware that the imigration officer at the border might not know the Kosovo visa rules completely. I had Indonesian passport without Kosovo visa but had valid multiple entry Schengen visa which should be okay to enter Kosovo but the officer didn't know this. He had to go back to his car and call his supervisor somewhere several times to make sure that I can enter before he stamped my passport. But he was always polite and smile all the time and speak good English. In general people of Kosovo are very nice and friendly.

Pristina, Kosovo
Level Contributor
44 posts
5. Re: Train from Skopje to Pristina

Guernseygirl25 I am glad to hear that you could make the Skopje - Pristina train trip, because two weeks ago I took the train from Pristina to Skopje, but my journey got terminated at the border because the macedonian train didn't come to pick us up ( the macedonian railways are very unpredictable and cruel because they make daily decisions if to launch the train to Pristina or not. Sometimes they might launch the train 2-3 times per week, or they might stop the train for two whole weeks. The Kosovo side train runs regulary every single day all the way from Pristina to the border and vice-versa.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
498 posts
6. Re: Train from Skopje to Pristina

@NLgirl06 The train is up and running, leaving Skopje at 16:10 and arriving in Pristina at 19:10

1 post
1 review
7. Re: Train from Skopje to Pristina

Hello, thanks for the info. What time the train is departing from Pristina?

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
95 reviews
78 helpful votes
8. Re: Train from Skopje to Pristina

As per Erti enquiries on another tread, the train is sporadic and doesn’t run as any normal cross border service should. Left him stranded on the border crossing, so he said, had to take taxi.

I strongly advice NOT to use it untill such a time is securely established and runs without hick ups.

Use bus there are 12 buses daily for as little as €5 one way. Takes about 2,30h ride.

Edited: 4:18 am, September 27, 2018
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
498 posts
9. Re: Train from Skopje to Pristina

@NLgirl06 Indeed. I've discovered that the Kosovan Train Pristina-Han i Elezit runs reliably, but the connecting Macedonian train Han i elezit-Skopje varies from week to week.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
95 reviews
78 helpful votes
10. Re: Train from Skopje to Pristina

@Crazydre, well I have been saying for years that Macedonia doesn’t have any normal cross border train service, I.e no international trains whatsoever, but some fly by night members, specially one very obnoxious from Czech Rep and another one from Poland keep calling me names because I claim what I claim. Like I don’t know what’s going on in my own country or haven’t experienced any services.

For me international ( cross border train) is one where you get on at station A in one country and get out at station B in other country WITHOUT crossing border on foot or changing to different mode of transport.

That kind of service, we in Macedonia do not have. Hence NO international train service...

Reply to: Train from Skopje to Pristina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted