We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining recommendations

Which Amherst hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dining recommendations

Hi,

I am coming to Amherst with my son for his graduate school interview at UMass next week. We will be staying at the hotel on campus for 2 nights. I would appreciate some good restaurant recommendations for both lunch and dinner. We are both very adventurous eaters. It can be anything from a very expensive restaurant to a local dive as long as the food is good. We're from LA where we have some of the best ethnic food in the country, so we'd prefer something unique to New England and the east coast. This board doesn't seem very active but I'm hoping some locals are lurking out there!

4 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,330 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining recommendations

You won't have nearly the options you will have in LA, but my favorite in that area has always been Judie's. Their freshly baked popovers are something you may not be able to get at home. It's a nice artsy restaurant (not just a bakery) and would be good for dinner as well as lunch.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining recommendations

Amherst really isn't much of a foodie mecca, and most of the interesting restaurants in the area are ethnic restaurants. There really isn't much in the way of "New England cuisine" that lives on in restaurants, other than certain seafood dishes that are more easily found as you get closer to the coast. Make sure you consider Northampton when looking for places to eat as it is nearby and has more to offer.

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining recommendations

As someone who now lives in CA., visits LA frequently, and used to live in Central Mass., I hear you.

There is one true can't miss, dining standard, New England style restaurant that comes to mind when I'm in Amherst.

Lord Jeffery Inn, and the restaurant within.

http://www.lordjefferyinn.com/amherst-dining/

I have dined here several times in my lifetime- I have not been here in over ten years, so do consider that. However, this property in my mind will always be known for impeccable service, value and food.

The locals may regard this as a very special occasion place, too expensive, perhaps even touristy. I say rubbish to that. They would also find almost all dining in LA to be "touristy" as well.

Hope you get here and enjoy it.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining recommendations

There is a really great, small restaurant 40 miles due north of Amherst, in Brattleboro:

http://peterhavens.com/

It's a quick shot up the interstate from Amherst so not really far away.

Reply to: Dining recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amherst