We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

Parma, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

Hi all,

We are planning a trip to OCMD, and were thinking about leaving a day early to sightsee in either Baltimore or Annapolis. We spent time a couple of years ago touring the Baltimore Inner Harbor and thought this year we would try someplace different. I checked out the things to do section for Annapolis, but did not see much that would interest our 11 year old daughter. We could certainly go back to Baltimore, as there was much we did not see, but I wanted to check with those on this forum to get some feedback about visiting this area with children.

Thanks for any help!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

What interests her? Pirate boat ride on Chesapeake? Naval academy?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
322 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

The pirate cruise is really popular. If that is a bit too boyish for her, there are regular boat tours that go out into the Bay I'm sure she'd like. Also, check out the ice cream shops!

Edited: 8:52 am, June 11, 2012
Parma, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

Neslaw - She did not seem to interested in the Naval Academy or the Pirate Boat (seems geared for the under 9 group). She enjoyed Williamsburg so I thought she might enjoy some of the historic tours I read about on the visitannapolis site. Honestly she would be thrilled to visit the National Aquarium again - I am the one pushing to try something different. I know vacations are about fun, but I would really like to try to have her see sights that have some historical significance. I am trying to decide between heading back to Baltimore to tour Fort McHenry and the aquarium or going to Annapolis for a historic tour. I am just not sure what else there is beyond that, perhaps any shops to stop in?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
322 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

There are lot's of historic tours, and a ghost tour at night that she might like. I see lots of Segway tours now, also. I can't tell you which is best because I've never been on one -- not something locals do.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

this is certainly a great time to visit Fort McH with all the 1812 stuff going on. In Annapolis, our capital building is quite nice and historic. I am in Annapolis often but if you aren't on a boat, don't want to visit the NA, and don't want to take a tour, then all there is to do is walk up and down main street and check out the t shirts. or as I do, get a sandwich, sit by the docks and people watch. We can talk about all the good things to eat but that isn't worth it for a day with a kid.

In Balt, besides the aquarium, she may like the b&O RR museum.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

Our kids thoroughly enjoyed the boat ride out onto the Bay from Annapolis. We also drove over to St Michaels for a half day-picnic-marine museum, stopping at various points along the various waterways, just taking in the sights of this unique corner of MD. But if you think you have exhausted all possible attractions with her, then head on back to Baltimore, where she seems happier visiting.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
634 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

we do the same Annapolis/OCMD trip. My niece is the same age and we've done a ghost tour (really not too scary and a cool way to see the city) as well as the Schooner boat ride which was cool. Then she begs to go swim at the hotel pool :)

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
322 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

You could also rent kayaks. Baltimore is only a half hour away if you would like to combine some things (especially if you are coming from the north and driving near Baltimore anyway).

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

There is the trolley that is free and will take you around to the various city sites, the historic tours-kind of like a Williamsburg tour, the city docks are always a great stop to feed the ducks and look at the big boats and catch a ride on one of the boats for a tour of the bay. There are a lot of different things to do here in Annapolis. If you need a place hotel accommodation the Sheraton Annapolis has great rates and complimentary transportation to Downtown Annapolis.

10. Re: Things to do in Annapolis with an 11 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 16, 2013