We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

We've recently moved to N. Md and i have family coming for a week. They'd like to go to the beach at some point. Instead of driving 2-3 hrs to DE or Eastern Shore, I googled beaches and saw SPSP. Is it clean/nice/fun? I thought we could hit the beach for part of the day and Annapolis for the other part. HOwever, if the beach isn't very nice then I'd rather look at other options. Thanks!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

It is a bay and not an ocean beach but it is nice, clean and fun. Gets very crowded in the summer time. Also some options in Baltimore County. Oregon Ridge is a great spot to consider.

http://www.visitbacomd.com/recandsports.html

baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/…orbeach.html

Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

I appreciate your info. Thanks!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

I would be leary of sea nettles (stinging jelly fish) at SPSP. The dry weather has lead to higher salinity levels and the nettles are in the area. We were in the Severn River on Sunday and there were several nettles visible.

Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

Ugh, thanks for the heads-up.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

Newtomd

I thought that was part of the fun. Sorry.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
752 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

check out the hammerman area of Gunpowder State Park. No nettles in the gunpowder. …state.md.us/publiclands/…gunpowder.asp

Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

didn't know that portion was there - I'm keeping notes on all these areas! we still might go to SPSP but might call first to see the status on the jellies - God Forbid my boys get stung by one they'll remember that for the rest of their lives and probably never want to go to the beach again. But, I guess that's part of the deal. Any other great things you can think of - I'd love to get the info. Thanks again!

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

I've never been there, but Breezy Point Beach, (just south of the town of Chesapeake Beach, MD), supposedly has a netted-off area of water enclosed / protected by nets which keep out the jellyfish.

http://www.co.cal.md.us/visitors/beaches

9. Re: Sandy Point State Park - your opinion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 10, 2011