We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Suggestion

Egg Harbor Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant Suggestion

We are going to a show at the Rams Head with 2 other couples. We will be staying at the Loews, and are looking for a restaurant within walking distance. The show is 10pm on a Friday in Aug. We will probably have a glass of wine at the Purple Tooth, then go to dinner. We are looking for good food (probably seafood, since it is Annapolis), and possibly a view, but are open to most suggestions.

Most of the reviews here on tripadvisor are mixed, and I have also read that you either get good food, or a view, not both. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Suggestion

Boy after reading the Annapolis reviews, I wouldn't know what to do either. Apparently, WaWa's is ranked higher than Middleton Tavern, which I happen to like.

You are in an area of Annapolis that is a short walk (10-15 min) to the dock area. Middletown and McGarveys are usually pretty good choices. There is the Reynolds Tavern for a revolutionary experience.

Treaty of Paris is also very good (but can be expensive)

Apparently your best choice is Annapolis Ice Cream Company.

Carrol's Creek, while a drive, is an excellent local choice over the national chains.

My suggestion, talk to the concierge at Loew's to see who seems to be on top of their game at the moment.

Mentioned in this post
Middleton Tavern
Middleton Tavern
780 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Middletown
Middletown
Maryland
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Annapolis Ice Cream Company
Annapolis Ice Cream...
667 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Carrol's Creek
Carrol's Creek
1,170 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,966 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Suggestion

I like 49 West which is right down the street from Rams Head, but it's probably a bit too casual (and NO view) for what you're looking for, but I like the place, fwiw.

for.http://www.49westcoffeehouse.com/

Haven't been there myself, but locally (DC) renowned seafood restaurant "Kinkead's" just opened a more casual place at the dock, with good views from the second floor, it's called Hell Point. Just saw an article on it today:

washingtontimes.com/news/…

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Suggestion

From a proximity standpoint, I'm going to suggest some ethnic places that do serve seafood. The eateries very close to where you will be that offer seafood as a specialty are unfortunately not worth the price.

One place that consistantly gets rave reviews not just locally but in Baltimore and DC magazines is Joss Cafe & Sushi Bar. Yes, their is seafood, it's just prepared Japanese style. Their tempura shrimp and softshell crab is excellent, and so are many of their other dishes.

Luna Blu is across the street from Ram's head and is a quaint Italian bistro. There are some misses, but I have had some very good meals there. Quite a few entrees/pastas feature seafood.

Harry Browne's across from the State House, has an excellent varied menu and has been a mainstay here for a long time. I love Osteria 177 a mediterranean place that also has a great selection of seafood offerings.

If you care to hoof it a bit and cross the Spa creek bridge into Eastport then I would recommend O'Learys (a locally owned establishment specializing in seafood), Lewne's steakhouse, also locally owned, has awesome steaks but they also excel in preparing things from the sea.

If you would like really casual but a true Annapolis experience, then I would stop off at the Boatyard Bar & Grill in Eastport. Although it can be family oriented in the dining room, it is also one of the main hangouts for local, national and international sailors who visit our port town. You always overhear some great stories from some really salty dogs. They offer everything from panini sanwiches, pasta, burgers, chicken, etc.

I'm not sure that all of these places take reservations, but I strongly urge you to make them for the places that do. Haven't been to Lewne's in a couple of months so the economy could play a role, but usually at least a week ahead is suggested.

Hope you enjoy the show and your stay in Annapolis.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Joss Cafe & Sushi Bar
Joss Cafe & Sushi Bar
279 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Luna Blu
Luna Blu
164 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Boatyard Bar & Grill
Boatyard Bar & Grill
1,348 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Suggestion

I'd second the recommendation for Harry Browne's, right on the circle across from the State House, not a water view but the dome is cool at night, and the recommend of O'Leary's, which is THE Annapolis seafood restaurant.

There is a new restaurant in town that I have not tried yet but Hell's Point has taken over the former Phillip's location including their outside deck (with a decent view). It is new so there may be some glitches but the owner is the same as Kinkaid's in DC. I've checked out the menu when walking by and it did not really excite me, but we still plan to give it a shot.

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Suggestion

Only reason I didn't bring up Hell's Point is that the Chowhound reviews so far has been dismal. We all understand working out kinks in a new place, but when you are spending $25 for lobster salad in a hot dog bun it better be good. They have had no formal opening, no website, so you wonder if they opened just to take advantage of the summer tourists. So far so bad....unfortunately.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,966 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Suggestion

But there are only about 4 reviews on Chowhound from people who have actually dined there, and one of the 4 was actually pretty positive about lunch, with another being somewhat in the middle. So I'm not sure the place can be written off yet.

There is a reason they're not yet advertising or having a website, it's called a "soft opening", to work the kinks out. Restaurants and hotels do it all the time, not to take advantage of tourists or anyone else.

Egg Harbor Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Suggestion

thanks for all your replies. After looking at the menus of all the suggestions, I especially like

Boatyard

Harry Brownes

Carrols Creek

Olearys (may be a little pricey)

Any likes/dislikes between these? The Boatyard sounds great, especially if we want to go casual. The menu might be a little limited (and the wine list too), but sometimes our friends like to order sandwiches anyway. How (and what kind) is their daily fish special.

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Suggestion

Irishfan, I understand what you are saying. I know what a soft opening is. That is entirely why I did not want to recommend them since they are still working out the "kinks". I have seen them advertising in the Capital, and no they haven't had a grand opening, but I do think they wanted to open as soon as they could to take advantage of the tourists dollars. They would be crazy not to. It's the locals that will dine there in the off season, and the ones they will have to impress if they want to survive.

My friends dined there and I walked by a couple weekends ago and saw their lunch menu. It's one thing if you are spending $10 on an entree and it's just so so, but just their luncheon appetizers are more than that. It's a risky venture to shell out big bucks for a place that is still getting its sea legs. I plan on going myself, but I just didn't think visitors should take the risk when they only have a night or two to dine out in Annapolis.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Suggestion

Just keep in mind that O'Learys, Carrol's Creek, and the Boatyard are hike from your hotel and the Ram's Head venue. The walk will eat up a bit of time (I'd add an extra 20 to 30 mintues - 10 to 15 minutes each way). Depending on your schedule, you may want to stay on the Annapolis side of the Spa Creek Bridge, which leaves only Harry Browne's from your list. Not to complicate the matter, but there are many other great option on the Annapolis side - no view but good food, some of which have not been mentioned yet (Galway Bay (close to Harry Browne's), Kyma or Tsumnami (literally between your hotel and Rams Head).

As far as an option to rule out, personally, I do not like Carrol's Creek. It is not bad but I have never felt that I had quality meal there for the price compared to other places. I'd rather go to Wild Orchid or Rockfish for the same price point in Eastport, no view but better food.

Mentioned in this post
Carrol's Creek
Carrol's Creek
1,170 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Galway Bay
Galway Bay
666 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Rockfish
Rockfish
65 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Annapolis
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Suggestion

Also check out Jerry's Seafood at the Meyropolitan. Good seafood, and home of the Crab bomb. I think they have the best crab balls I've ever had. I think its on the high end, but so are all the others and this food is really good. The rest is located a half a block up from your hotel on the other side of West Street.