We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

My family will be visiting the DC Metro area at the end of April as part of a work-related visit to the Holocaust Museum. We'll be arriving at the Museum early on a Thursday, and have lodging reservations onbase in Annapolis for that evening (I realize that I could stay much closer to DC, but the price savings was HUGE!). The next morning, the intent is to drive to the New Carrollton metro station and take the metro in so my daughter can enjoy the DC tourist sites. I grew up just outside of DC so I'm familiar with the city (and traffic!), but I've never been to Annapolis so I'm looking for a decent place to have dinner, how late the shops in the "tourist" section of Annapolis stay open in case we still have energy to do a bit of sightseeing after our day at the museum, as well as an idea of the actual commute time (both from DC via car, and to DC via car/metro).

As far as schedule goes, here's what we've got:

Thursday- arrive in DC, visit Holocaust Museum, transit to lodging in Annapolis.

Friday- check out of hotel, all day in DC, commute to relatives north of Baltimore.

Thanks for any advice/input!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
633 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

I would recommend trying to get out of DC before rush hour to get to Annapolis.

The closing time of the shops in downtown Annapolis vaires, but they are not open late. If you leave DC by 3:00 to beat rush hour, you could probablyu have some quality time in Annapolis. There is a large mall that is open until 9:00 (used to be 9:30 but is closing earlier now because of the economy. but that is not really touristy fun.

Not sure where your hotel is, but there are plenty of dining choices in Annapolis, depnding on your taste and budget. I'd aim for dinner historic area for the atmosphere and personally I am fan of Galway Bay for Irish food.

Commute time varies by the time of day and the location of your hotel. The hotels by the mall would cut 10-15 minutes off the commute compared to the downtown hotels.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

Thanks very much for the info! We're staying at lodging on Naval Station Annapolis, so I'm not really sure where exactly that is in relation to the historic area.

As for food, we are looking for ambience and great food but we're really not fans of Irish cuisine...can you recommend a seafood place? It will be my 12 year old daughter, my mom and me on this trip so we don't need romantic or expensive, but great views or a historic building would be fantastic.

Thanks again!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

You better plan on getting to Metro EARLY if you want to find a spot to park your car. >6 am early!

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
702 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

I would suggest the Chart House for dinner. It is in Eastport - across Spa Creek from the main historic part of Annapolis. It is easy to get to from the Navy lodging. On the water - nice views, reasonable price. You will also pass The Rockfish, Boatyard Bar & Grill, Lewnes Steak House, Ruth's Chris Steak House and Carol's Creek- all in Eastport. Take your pick. Only Carol's Creek and Chart House are on the water.

The Severn Inn is closer to the Navy Lodge, and sits right on the water with great views of the Naval Academy and the bridge. Really spectacular. We were there about a month ago - they have a new chef - the food was fabulous and definitely worthy of the location. It is somewhat pricey, but you can keep the check within reasonable limits if you order from the pub fare menu.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
633 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

Almost every restaurant in Annapolis serves seafood, at least crabcakes and crab dip. The best seafood in Annapolis in my opinion is O'Leary's, but it is upscale and pricey.

The previous recommendation of Chart House is worth considering. Chart House is a chain, but the Annapolis location has spectaular views and building is an old boat Trumpy Yacht yard building. However, it too is a bit on the pricey side (as is Carrol's Creek and the Severn River Inn).

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

Also, if you would like to do some research yourself, go to www.whatsupmag.com

This a local monthly publication that highlights activities and events going on in and around Annapolis. They have an extensive dining guide that gives you a good feel for pricing, style, and meals offered. You can narrow your search using different criteria. Not sure what is categorized as "inexpensive" to you, since this is subjective. Cheaper eats in historic Annapolis equates to places that are not too endearing nor is their food worthwhile. It's a touristy destination, so prices unfortunately reflect that.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

Thanks for all the information!

I'm now rethinking the intelligence of doing a mad dash to DC when we have Annapolis to explore.

Here's my new thought for a day of sightseeing:

- Visit the Naval Academy

- Take the Historic District 101 Tour with Capital City Colonials (the Food and History Tour sounds great, too, but the tour isn't offered the day we're there).

- Have High Tea at the Reynolds Tea Room

Does this sound like a good itinerary? Again, thanks so much for your continued, valuable input!

Suzan

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

I don't think you will be disappointed with staying in Annapolis and exploring the town. When you arrive, you should certainly visit the recently updated visitor's center 26 West Street right off Church Circle. (Reynolds is located at this circle as well). It has brochures, maps, and the people there are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. You can even pick up some additional information about Maryland for future visits.

The town is small, so you can see quite a bit in just a day or two. I think taking a tour is an excellent idea, you can stroll the cobblestone streets, see the colonial architecture, view the homes of the signers of the Declaration of Independence i.e. Charles Carroll House, Chase Lloyd, William Paca etc. Hopefully your tour will include the Maryland State House, the wooden dome is quite impressive.

Don't forget to also visit Maryland Avenue and West Street for shopping and dining. Main Street is the primary district, but these areas also are worthwhile and very close.

9. Re: Annapolis/DC Trip Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:24 am, October 23, 2009