We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapolis to Atlantic City

Mukwonago, WI
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Annapolis to Atlantic City

We will be traveling from Annapolis to Atlantic City on a Friday afternoon in mid July. What is the best way to get there?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapolis to Atlantic City

Later in the afternoon, traffic approaching the Bay Bridge will be tough. But no tougher than working your way through or around Baltimore and up 95/295 through Delaware and into New Jersey. Shorter distance and fewer tolls using the Bay Bridge, too.

So suggest taking 50/301 across the Chesapeake and letting one of the mapping services do the rest.

http://tinyurl.com/6y5psr

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapolis to Atlantic City

If you had some extra time and wanted to be "adventurous", you could drive to Lewes Delaware and take the ferry to Cape May NJ and then just head NE. I know, it's too much, but I agree with the previous poster. I would take the Bay bridge, it may be nasty in the beginning but then you should be fine once you get on 301 going Northbound. Most of the traffic on the other side will be going to the ocean beaches heading east or southeast. In Delaware you can hop on Route 1 which will intersect with I-95 and then the NJ Turnpike. From there you may want to post on the New Jersey section, since I am not sure how Route 40 is and it seems kind of silly to drive so much further north to catch the Atlantic City Expressway. Somehow the Lewes ferry idea doesnt seem so bad afterall. (It does transport cars and the crossing is about an hour long).

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapolis to Atlantic City

Once you cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge into NJ, Rt. 40 is about 19 miles shorter than the standardized Google/Mapquest et. al suggestion of 295/AC Expressway.

But it is mostly one lane in each direction and goes through a number of small towns with traffic lights. Under the best conditions, it will still be about 20 minutes longer than doing this stretch entirely at 55-65 mph highway speed.

The Ferry is an experience, but it is relatively expensive, will probably take you an extra hour or two than the other options, and you will be battling lots of eastbound beach traffic getting to it on Friday afternoon.

If you don't care about time, I'd use the extra half hour to use US40 to AC after crossing the DMB vs. 295 and the Expressway. It's largely frozen in the 1950s and provides a real taste of Americana you don't see from the superhighways.

East Coast
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Annapolis to Atlantic City

I think it's crazy to go over the bay bridge on a Friday afternoon, crazy. By the time you get over the bridge you would have already been through Baltimore.

Plus, on 301 you have to watch your speed because they will get you on that road. Then you get stuck stopping at these red lights in Delaware.

Take 95 through Baltimore, drive 80 the whole time. You wont hit much traffic at all if you get through the city by 4:00.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annapolis to Atlantic City

Hopefully the eastbound Friday afternoon crowd can chime in here. While the perception among those on eastbound 50/301 headed for the beaches from Washington or off of I-97 from Baltimore is that you're backing up for the Bay Bridge as you approach Annapolis, more often than not the source of your frustration is the much smaller Severn River bridge.

The four miles once you cross the Severn to the Bay Bridge are usually a piece of cake, comparatively speaking. Not always, but usually.

Coming from Annapolis, the aforementioned 50/301 bridge across the Severn is easily avoided with an alternate crossing. So this will eliminate a definite choke point headed eastbound if you rely on your GPS or standard web-based directions. Then that only leaves you to contend with the Bay Bridge--which may or may not be the nightmare the above poster contends it is.

http://tinyurl.com/5ld2pw

Yes, you can get from Annapolis to Baltimore quickly on a Friday afternoon. But after you've completed that first leg, I-95 northbound is a *guaranteed* parking lot heading into Delaware at the toll booth on a Friday afternoon. You'll gladly take the minor delays you might see at the Bay Bridge or the traffic lights along 301 in Delaware. BTDT.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annapolis to Atlantic City

I did not chime in earlier on this because the original poster said that they were leaving from Annapolis (if they were leaving from anywhere outside of Annapolis I would agree not to take Bay Bridge route on a Friday). Either the 95N Route or the 301N Route can have its pitfalls. From Annapolis to Philly, AC, NY, etc., I take 301N on almost every occasion. A Friday in the summer makes it more of a toss up, but I'd still take my chances with 301N and the Bay Bridge (at least part of the ride would be relaxing).

I would recommend that the orginal poster leave Annapolis via Rowe Boulevard (the primary gateway in and out of historic area of Annapolis), which mergers with 50 right at the Severn River Bridge. (Actually the Rowe Boulevard merge is a major culprit for the back-ups as the Annapolis workers leave at rush hour adding to the beach traffic). Once on Route 50 make every effort to merge to the left hand passing lane and you should make it through this section relatively unscathed.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
742 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Annapolis to Atlantic City

I respectfully disagree with the Rowe Boulevard suggestion. Follow tubman's advice, take the "Naval Academy Bridge" across the Severn River and it will meet up with Route 50 on the other side -

Although in deference to the prior poster - I guess it would make a difference depending upon where you start. If it's downtown Annapolis - city dock area, then the Naval academy Bridge (Route 450) is the way to go. If you're at the mall (and the hotels around Jennifer Road), then you want to go out the back way on Bestgate Road, to Route 50, which will put you just west of the Severn River Bridge -probably catching only the last 1/4 mile of back up. This is really worth the effort to find Bestgate, because if you just go to the closest access to Route 50 from the mall (either Jennifer Road or West Street) , you will sit in a big traffic jam at the Severn River Bridge. The bay bridge, itself, is usually not the biggest problem. knock on wood. . .

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Annapolis to Atlantic City

Creekdweller … We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I will give that the Naval Academy Bridge is the better way in and out of town at times (definitely more scenic), but not at rush hour on a Friday. The problem with the Naval Academy Bridge is that too many people exit Route 50 and try to use it, which causes terrible back-ups at the lights on 450 which aren’t designed for those traffic volumes. There are two basic ways to get to the Naval Academy Bridge – Rowe Blvd to Taylor Avenue and King George Street. Neither one works well. (you could also come from Ridgely Avenue, but the same issues apply). The Rowe Blvd to Taylor Avenue is impossible on a Friday as Taylor Avenue becomes a parking lot in front of Graul’s. Often you cannot even turn onto Taylor Avenue because it is so clogged. King George Street is a better option, but it backs up well on to the College Creek Bridge and it takes several slow light cycles to get across. I work in downtown Annapolis and exit on Rowe Boulevard everyday, especially when there is a back up on 50. It is not great, but personally I think that it is the better option.

9. Re: Annapolis to Atlantic City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, October 04, 2009