We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not miss activities while in Annapolis...???

Brant, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do not miss activities while in Annapolis...???

I am planning a trip for some friends and would like to know what are some do not miss activities, events, sites or food places that I should include on the schedule. They are planning on going soon, March 30-April 2. I have made a list of things for them to choose from so far and they include:

Quiet Waters Park

Maryland Day Events 3/30

United States Naval Academy concert on 3/30

49 West Coffeehouse

Watermark Cruises (the walking tours)

Chesapeake Pirates

Historical homes & gardens

Baltimore & Annapolis Trail

Annapolis Maritime Museum - what are the hours and cost??? all I find is the Barge house reopens 3/30?

Discover Annapolis Tours - trolley tour

Ego Alley

Is there an actual beach anywhere? Please help. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Quiet Waters Park
Quiet Waters Park
415 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Discover Annapolis Tours
Discover Annapolis Tours
83 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Ego Alley
Ego Alley
308 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not miss activities while in Annapolis...???

The only "beach" really close would be Sandy Point State Park, which is a beach on the Chesapeake Bay about 15 minutes east of Annapolis on Route 50. It will be too cold to swim there so it will not be very crowded. It is not best place to swim anyway, but it does have some cool views of Chesapeake Bay and the Bay Bridge.

Unless you are into Biking or Jogging, I would not put the B&A Trail too high on the list of things to do.

Mentioned in this post
Sandy Point State Park
Sandy Point State Park
256 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
B&A Trail
B&A Trail
108 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not miss activities while in Annapolis...???

Bump to the top - hope someone can give you more insight on these attractions. I understand that the Annapolis Maritime Museum was destroyed by Hurricane Isabel and is in the process of rebuilding. I really don't know what is to see at the other building - other than it is the launch point for tours of Thomas Point Light - sadly, they will not start 2008 tours until after your visit.

You might want to take the time to drive across the Bay Bridge to the Eastern shore - if only for the experience of driving across it. There are some very decent lunch/dinner spots very near the bridge on the other side - Hemingways is visible from the bridge and provides a nice view from their upstairs bar/dining area. A bit farther, at Kent Narrows, you will find my favorite, "The Narrows", as well as "Annies" - both very good.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not miss activities while in Annapolis...???

i like that you included 49 west!

you might also suggest that they check out who will be at the rams head while they're there. we've seen several absolutely spectacular shows there. really nice to see national acts in such a small place....

we've seen delbert McClinton, Dr. John, Doc Watson, Leon Redbone, and others...really nice in such an intimate space!

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not miss activities while in Annapolis...???

They may want to take a quick tour of the Maryland Statehouse, it doesn't take much time and they have a visitors center inside that has much information about the area and the state of Maryland. London Town is several miles outside of downtown Annapolis, but is a treasured historical site. This is the former area of one of Maryland's oldest seaport towns. Although most buildings are gone there is still a house and eight acres of gardens that sit high above the South River. It continues to be an archealogical digging site to this day.

Lastly, if they are around Wednesday night, the weekly sail boat races might start. It is fun to sit at one of the waterfront eateries and watch the boats cruise by.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not miss activities while in Annapolis...???

I agree with visiting Londontown. I have lived in the area for years, and just discovered the beautiful treasure. Quiet Waters is not quite an "attraction"- just a park we take kids and dogs to. I also recommend Cantler's Riverside Inn for crabs in Annapolis. The crabs this season are great!The Three Centuries walking tour with Watermark is also great, my family just took it while in town recently.

Mentioned in this post
Cantler's Riverside Inn
Cantler's Riverside Inn
932 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
6. Re: Do not miss activities while in Annapolis...???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 23, 2009