We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapolis Crab House

Which Annapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Howell, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
Annapolis Crab House

A few years ago, my husband and I wandered off the highway on our way home to New Jersey from North Carolina to find a place to eat dinner. We found a restaurant in Annapolis where we had a meal that we still talk about as being one of our best experiences. The restaurant walls were made up of garage doors, that when opened led to a deck where we ate on a picnic table that had a hole in it where the shell bucket went. We are planning a trip to Annapolis in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me if the place I'm referring to is Cantlers?

AnnapolisMD
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapolis Crab House

I don't think Cantler's is the place, but to be honest I never noticed if the walls were garage doors and I don't think they have holes in the tables where shell bukets go, but it has been so long since we ate outside. Cantlers is very off the beaten path and you can stand in the parking lot and have a beer or two while you wait for a table. You also typically have to wait in line just to enter the parking lot.

Maybe someone else can chime in, or just call them and ask if they have these things that you remember.

Unless you had directions, I doubt you could have found Cantler's by wandering off the highway.

Could the place have been Mike's on the south river?

At any rate most people think Cantler's is the place for crabs. Everything else on the menu is the pits. If you go stay away from the steamers. My dad got sick from them and Cantler's did not seem to care.

Stick with crabs and beers and you should have another good experience. One tip is to always order the biggest crabs avaliable.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapolis Crab House

Definitely does not sound like Cantler's.

There is place not in Annapolis, but relatively close. From the description, it sounds like it could have been the Crab Deck at Fisherman's Inn at Kent Narrows in Grasonville, but I am not 100% sure. It is on the other side of the Bay Bridge from Annapolis (about a half hour east of Annapolis on Route 301/50). They have garage doors, crabs, and a deck. I have not been there in awhile but always enjoyed it.

Maybe it could have been Mike's Crabhouse but I doubt it. No garage doors or holes in the tables.

Did you cross the Bay Bridge on your trip ... if so I'd bet it was the Crab Deck?

They have a website: http://www.crabdeck.com/

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapolis Crab House

Can you provide any more detail on this place you ate at? Was it on the water? How big was it?

Howell, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Annapolis Crab House

Thanks so much to everyone for your input. I found a mallet that I brought home from the restaurant--as newtomd indicated, it was the Fisherman's Crab Deck that we went to (my husband thought it was Annapolis, but apparently we crossed the brige into Kent Narrows). I can't find that restaurant listed on this site to get updated reviews--thinking about it it's been close to 10 years since we were there.

Seems like the general consensus on the best seafood restaurants is O'Leary's or Carrol's Creek?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annapolis Crab House

I am not a big fan of Carrol's Creek, but love O'Leary's.

You should be aware though that they are upscale restaurants and don't have crabs. Totally different experience than the Crab Deck. Not that either experience is better or worst, they are just different.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annapolis Crab House

The Crab Deck this year is not that good at all. We are locals we go there 3 times a year. But this year the food was cold, and they made the menu smaller...

Hope that helps...

7. Re: Annapolis Crab House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, September 10, 2009