We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
836 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

Can anyone tell me what car rental companys are in Augusta besides what's at the airport?

Also seems that the Quality Inn is one of the closest hotels to the ariport. Is this correct?

Thanks so much.

3 replies to this topic
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

Enterprise Rent-a-Car has a location on Western Avenue in Augusta. You can reach them by phone at (207) 623-1855

Quality Inn & Suites Evergreen Hotel is actually not the closest to the airport. The Senator Inn and Spa on Western Avenue is probably half a mile closer. The Senator used to be "the" place to stay in Augusta, but had slipped a bit before being acquired by new owners a year or so ago.

Haven't stayed at either place in the past two years, but based on reports from friends who have, I'd probably go the extra half mile and stay at the Quality Inn & Suites on the Whitten Road.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
836 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

thank you very much for you help. I booked airfare yesterday morning to Augusta for a trip to Northern Maine and NB. We get into Augusta about 9:00pm. I knew there was a Hertz at the airport, and that was my first choice for car rental. I didn't realize until later that they are not open during normal airport hours (for us that almost 24 hours), so I need to figure out how to get from the airport to the hotel when we get there (that's why the how close question). Since it is so close, I may just take a taxi back to the airport in the morning and use the Hertz. Enterprise would pick us up, so I will have to compare rates. Thanks again for the post.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

Happy to help -- you're talking about an area that's almost "in my back yard", so know the area very well....if you have any further questions, feel free to ask away.....

As you go from the airport to your hotel (assuming you stay at the Quality), you'll pass the on-ramp for I-95 north, which I assume you'll be looking for the next morning as you had out of town.

If you do get onto I-95 northbound at the Western Avenue on-ramps in Augusta, the ones closest to the Senator Inn or Quality Inn, be aware that there's a bridge reconstruction project about three miles up the Interstate from where you'll be getting on. Hasn't really been a traffic back-up problem so far, but will require a reduction in speed and paying attention to signage about which lane is open and which is closed.

And in general, be aware that Maine has stiff fines for speeding in construction work zones -- basically they're double the normal fine -- which for speeding on the Interstate can run into hundreds of dollars....could really ruin a vacation in a hurry! Enforcement can be sporadic, but if they catch you, it gets expensive very quickly....

Reply to: car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted