We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to San Blas

ny
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to San Blas

I am interested in a day trip to San Blas from Panama City.

Can someone recommend a good tour company that may have a trip already planned?

Thanks

Chiriqui Province...
Level Contributor
340 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to San Blas

Please note a day trip to the San Blas can be too short.... you will leave at 5.30 - arrive on the islands at 10.30am and leave the islands at 3pm. Basically 4 hours to enjoy the place vs the same or more time for the transportation. I can recommend you a company with day tour for around usd 130/persons.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to San Blas

I also had the same question. Can you provide me with what companies are good for the San blas island excursions. Also, would you know if taxis will drive from Panama City to farallon airport or would I need to book a driver. What is the cost roughly one way?

Thanks

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to San Blas

Taxis will gladly drive you to Farallón, but it will cost you a kidney. It's quite far away. You'd probably do better with a private transportation service or taking a bus to Río Hato or any of the towns around.

A shuttle to the Decamerón resort or any of the resorts nearby costs 26 USD, one way. That's probably the most cost-effective way to get there. I know of a service that does it from the Tocumen airport in Panama City. Their phone is +507 9932449 and email is transfer@decameronpty.com

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to San Blas

Hello all,

Actually I have a couple of questions. We were thinking to do a one day trip to San Blas as well, but as you said it's too short. So we have decided to stay a night but I don't know how to find a decent accommodation for the night as we have an elder person with us and she can't sleep anywhere. Somewhere with comfortable bed and decent washrooms?!

and I was wondering, can we driving to a port ourselves just to save money? We already have the car for the whole week in Panama, so no extra expense.

Or should we forget about driving and get a flight to the islands?

I appreciate your help. This is our first time in Panama and we don't know anything about it ...

Chiriqui Province...
Level Contributor
340 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to San Blas

Is your car 4x4 or SUV ? That is the condition to allow you to cross the Kuna Yala border. There quite comfortable accommodation with private bathroom on El Porvenir but it is not the nicest islands in the area.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to San Blas

Oh, so it's very rough road with no asphalt! and about 3 hours of such! I guess we are better off with a plane. Thanks for the tip.

I was searching and come across the Yandup Island Lodge.

www.yandupisland.com/index.php…

Seems like a nice one if it has any vacancies, which I doubt!

But is the island a good one? and the surroundings? Is it worth all the expense?

CALI
Level Contributor
477 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to San Blas

Is the Boat to San Blas near Decameron or closer to Colon

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to San Blas

As far as I researched, Colon is far away and as for getting a boat it depends on which airport you arriving at. Check this website and through the page, you will see that you have several choices ...

sanblas-islands.com/getting-there/air-panama/

Edited: 12:03 am, January 07, 2016
Chiriqui Province...
Level Contributor
340 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to San Blas

The road is in very good condition with Asphalt. It was not the case 5 years ago. There are just some curves, hills etc... so you better go with an experienced driver.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to San Blas

Actually one of us is an experienced driver but the car is a sedan.

How long does it take us to get to where the boats are? and where is it exactly? Google map is no help in this case! I can't even see a road after Cuango! and the closest island is el porvenir?

Should we arrange for a boat in advance or are day regular departures?

and one last question, how late can we stay there, if we want to be back to Panama before it's dark? As I assume there are no lights in the road?

Thanks for helping me out with this ^^