We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Guide

london
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Private Guide

I am visiting Panama for a few days in June. Any recommendations for a good guide? Costs? Suggestions for day trips?

Thanks

1. Re: Private Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:51 am, May 26, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Guide

If you have a decent travel book, you really don't need a guide in Panama City. The announcements and signage at visitor's center at Miraflores is in English. Most restaurants in Casco Viejo are either operated by English speaking people or have someone on staff who speaks at least some English. A good guide book will have more details about Casco Viejo than most tour guides know. If you go to Panama Viejo, there are English speaking guides on site.

Like the previous poster suggested, the best way to take a day trip is to rent a car and drive to either El Valle (in the mountains on the Pacific side, about 90 minutes from the city), or drive to Portobelo (on the Caribbean, about 90 minutes away). Both require at least some knowledge of Spanish. If you rent a car, make arrangements to pick it up at Albrook (AKA Gelabert) Airport.

Closer to the city, you could take a taxi to the zoo at Soberanía National Park (AKA Summit Park), or go to the Gamboa Rainforest Resort where you can take an expensive tram ride through the jungle and climib to a vista that overlooks the Chagres River and the entrance to the Culebra Cut in the Panama Canal.

3. Re: Private Guide

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:41 am, May 14, 2014
Haslett, Michigan
Level Contributor
233 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Guide

We were in Panama last September and did several tours with Rudy of "Rudy's Tours". He is an excellent guide and spoke very good English. I did a review under "Things to Do" of "Rudy's Tours" and the tours that we did. His website has information on the tours he normally does and prices. He will also customize tours to meet your needs.

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Guide

My family and I were in Panama last month for just a couple of days. I booked a tour with a company called My Friend Mario based upon good reviews here on Tripadvisor. I highly recommend this company.

I arranged a pick-up at the airport to our hotel on the Amador Peninsula (touristy, yes, but it was awesome to watch from our balcony the ships enter the canal). Mario's father was waiting for us with a sign as we exited the airport. No hassle and I felt the $40 was fair for four people and the location of our hotel. We traveled in a nice Montero that had plenty of room. Mario's dad (wish I could remember his name) spoke English very well and was super nice. After I told him that our visit was shortened by a day and I was disappointed that we weren't going to have any time to explore the old city, he gave us a drive-thru tour of Casco Viejo and of the Peninsula before dropping us off at the hotel, spending a good 90 extra minutes with us. He also drove us to the airport for our return flight.

The next day Alex showed up to take us to tour Fort Lorenzo and the Panama Canal. Clean big van. Alex rocked! He, too, spoke very good English and was really knowledgeable and friendly. Seriously, at the end of the day it was like we were old friends, that's how easy to get along with he was. Great tour for us. We talked a lot about Panamanian history, culture, and current events. He stopped plenty of times along the way to the fort to look at wildlife, have fresh fruit, meet people he knew, and to provide me with photo ops. He offered to take us either to the new Panama Canal Visitor's Center when the expansion construction is occurring, or to Miraflores. We chose the new center so we could see the engineering behind the canal. Good choice! We had the place to ourselves and everyone welcomed Alex warmly, and, therefore us, too. I'm kind of a geek, so I was in heaven. My kids ran around and played on the playground, then all of a sudden they noticed the view of the canal and were amazed. Alex then took us to our hotel by the airport. I'd do another tour with Alex in a heartbeat! Actually, we'd just like to hang out with him and his family! The cost was $320 for the four of us in a private tour. I usually don't do tours and such, but am so glad I did this time. No regrets.

myfriendmario.com, mario@myfriendmario.com or by phone +(507) 6615-2271. His website isn't up right now, which is too bad because it gave information on all the tours available.

6. Re: Private Guide

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Removed on: 8:38 am, August 15, 2014
london
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Guide

Thank you for your responses so far.

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
889 posts
528 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Guide

Thanks to everyone for these recommendations.

Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Guide

Hi my opinion you will use www,citycabpanama.com very good

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
889 posts
528 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private Guide