We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama city layover

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Panama city layover

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I'm trying to decide if I should do 2 layover trips in panama city or just try for one. I've read all the old threads, so I'm aware of places to go and details and such, but am just looking for some opinions. On Tuesday I'll be there on a 5 hour layover from 10AM to 3pm, then later in the month on a Wednesday Ill be there from 8:30AM and will have 7 hours until I leave at 3:30PM. I'd like to check out the canal visitors center area, and casco viejo, and possibly the ruins. Is it smart and feasible to split this up amongst the 2 layovers? or should I try to do as much as possible during the 7 hour layover?

I'm already in touch with a driver that people mentioned here, his email is Vegaluis2010@gmail.com because I think doing it that way would be the best use of our time and the money would be somewhat similar to getting a taxi when needed. Any thoughts or details would be appreciated, thanks :)

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama city layover

Do Panama Viejo on your 10 to 3 layover. Do Miraflores and Casco Viejo on your 8:30 to 3:30 layover.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama city layover

Thanks, was hoping to avoid spending the money to leave twice but it's probably the best idea.

Ouro Preto, MG
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama city layover

Hey, I know you already had your trip, but I was in a similar position not too long ago with an 8-hour layover in Panama City so I thought I would share my experience should anyone else need the info.

I contacted all the tour guides mentioned here and on flyertalk but they were all busy, then I happened upon a forum that mentioned Juan Pauli aka John, (email: airportridespanama@gmail.com),

I figured I would email him just incase, I couldn't stand the idea of spending 8 hours in the airport. Luckily, even though I contacted him the night before I arrived, he was available. I told him what I like (nature in particular since I am an ecologist) so he picked me up from the airport and we went on a hike in Metropolitan National Park, then we drove along the canal to an ecoresort, on the way back to the airport we stopped for some local food too.

In the end, he will tailor a tour just for you for the reasonable price of $20/hour (that includes everything, no need to pay for gas). He lived a long time in the US so his English is perfect, additionally he speaks more languages than I can count (we even spoke in Portuguese for a while since I live in Brazil). So if you are stuck in Panama for a long time like I was, I highly recommend Juan.

4. Re: Panama city layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 02, 2015