We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants close to Country Inn and Suites

Hudson, Iowa
Level Contributor
209 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants close to Country Inn and Suites

We are staying at Country Inn and Suites off the Panama Canal in Jan for 4 nights. Trying to figure out where the best places to go for dinner would be, near the hotel, places that won't cost alot as far as taxi goes to get there. There will be 5 adults and 2 kids. Thanks for your help.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants close to Country Inn and Suites

My wife and I have stayed there a few times. For awhile it was our favorite place to stay. Now, we prefer Torres de Alba. The restaurant choices are much, much better there and all within walking distance.

That said, Country Inn and Suites is a good hotel. Just don't eat there, except for breakfast. The TFIFridays in the hotel is horrible. Across the parking lot is the Balboa Yacht Club. Nice (but loud) for a beer, but forget about ordering food. Unless you don't mind waiting until retirement age to see your meal that is, at best, mediocre. But, it's nice to say you've had a beer at the infamous Balboa Yacht Club.

Going along the causeway, there is a good seafood restaurant, Pencas. It's just past the never to be finished BioDiversity Museum. Otherwise, there are a number of restaurants on Amador. But, you'll need to take a taxi.

That's the unfortunate part about staying at Country Inn and Suites. You trade off a great view, a good hotel and a very nice pool for having to take a taxi to dinner. Within the $3 to $4 dollar taxi range is a very good pizza restaurant in the El Rey shopping center at Albrook. (Great for kids.) Also, Casco Viejo is closer to Country Inn than the restaurants downtown. There are many restaurants around and near the Independence Plaza, plus the Mercado de Mariscos (Seafood Market) just off Balboa Ave.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
18,516 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants close to Country Inn and Suites

As gb indicates, there are a lot of places along the Causeway. Several locals have recommended to me Mi Ranchito, and I have enjoyed my meals there, though I don't really understand why it is so popular.

Hudson, Iowa
Level Contributor
209 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants close to Country Inn and Suites

Thanks for the info! Can you tell me if it would be an easy walk to El Mercado del Marisco, the fish market? I heard there was good cerviche there and also a decent restaurant upstairs. Thanks again for your time.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
18,516 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants close to Country Inn and Suites

Not an easy walk - nor a safe one - between you and Casco Viejo and the mercado de mariscos lies El Chorrillo - one of the areas that visitors should steer clear of. You should only head that way by taxi along the highway.

Hudson, Iowa
Level Contributor
209 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants close to Country Inn and Suites

OK, that is very good to know. Thanks!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
18,516 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants close to Country Inn and Suites

You're OK walking south to the causeway, and I should think OK walking north towards Balboa - but not east.

7. Re: Restaurants close to Country Inn and Suites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 19, 2014