We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation

buck lake,alberta...
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
accommodation

My wife and I are looking for clean reasonably priced accommdation for one night near Tocuman airport when we arrive in January. Any suggestions? We will then return to the airportthe next morning to pick up a rental car for the duration of our trip.

Mike

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation

There is not much near the airport, and my impression is that the rental agents at the airport are more likely to engage in sharp practices.

I would stay more central - El Cangrejo, say - and get the car from an agency nearer.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation

There are a number of complaints registered on the T/A Panama forum about how agents at the airport use bait and switch, overcharge and try to assign damage costs to you when you return the car. They know they can get by with it because if you're returning a car to airport, you must have a flight out and you don't have time to argue or press the issue. I rent a car nearly every trip to Panama. Only once did I pick up the car at Tocumen.

Like beardoubauk suggested, you will have better service and far fewer hassles if you pick up your rental in the city or, better yet, at Albrook so you can avoid having to drive in the city. (Please read the past forum threads about renting cars in Panama. Please pay particular attention to issues of insurance and car inspections.)

If you still want to stay at a hotel near the airport, there is only one ... the Riande Aeropuerto. Over the last year or so it has cleaned up its act and become a respectable, clean and decent hotel with free shuttle service to an from Tocumen.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation

The Riande still seems expensive for what it is.

Which direction are you heading ? As gb says, Albrook is a good option to avoid driving through the city.

Depending on your timing, you could stay in Casco Antiguo or downtown - either would give you a range of places to go out and eat.

Regards

Beardo

4. Re: accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 28, 2014