We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casco Viejo construction

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
214 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Casco Viejo construction

I'm very interested in staying in this part of the city, for the history and architecture, but I keep reading about the streets being torn up by construction, creating a lot of inconvenience when trying to get around on foot. Not to mention the noise, dust etc. I have had this experience when visiting old neighborhoods in other cities, and it's not pleasant.

Wondering if I should wait to vist Casco Viejo. Or will that not make any difference, as the building likely to continue for a couple of years. (And then I guess the question is, will it still retain its character after all this work is done?)

Any thoughts from visitors who have been there lately, or from residents? Thanks

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Casco Viejo construction

While the construction is certainly causing problems it should not stop you from enjoying a stay in Casco. The street project has another year to go and unless you think "character" = potholes, broken sidewalks, etc. the finished project will be a real step forward.

PM me with your travel dates and where in Casco you plan to stay and I can give you the current construction status in the area and also give you a suggestion on how to make getting around on foot less of an ordeal.

Hope you get to enjoy Casco Viejo - the "other" Panama City.

Steve www.panamanotes.com

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casco Viejo construction

We live in Casco Viejo...and have for 6 years. YES, we are in the middle of an infrastructure project. YES, it IS messy...but now, more than ever, our businesses, bars, cafes, enotecas, restaurants, hotels need your support. Please DO come. Feel free to email me for a copy of my walking tour and to ask any questions you might have. COME...stay, eat, "party" in Casco Viejo.

Mary Roush

Email: maryroush7@hotmail.com

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
791 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casco Viejo construction

We were there in August and construction does spoil things a little, but I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Just about all of PC is under construction. Casco Viejo under construcion still beats anywhere else in the area.

4. Re: Casco Viejo construction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Panama City