We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Town and Fish Market - Panama City

Denver
Level Contributor
243 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
China Town and Fish Market - Panama City

We were watching Anthony Bourdain (a Panama eposide) from 2 years ago. They showed a fish market to go to (this was also on the Amazing Race recently) and he went to China Town.

He had said the Panama China Town was older then China Town in NYC, would love to check it out. Is is an easy place in the city to get to?

Any ideas on where the fish market is? Easy to get to?

Mercado De Mariscos

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: China Town and Fish Market - Panama City

@Kerberos824 -

As I recall, Kwang Chow is directly on Avenida B, a major thoroughfare. I was sitting near the window and traffic was streaming by at a pretty good pace.

As a group of five, I don't think you'll have any problems walking from Mercado de Mariscos to Kwang Chow and then to the hostel. Remember, there's safety in numbers, and I didn't get the feeling that Casco Viejo was sketchy. But that was in broad daylight, so your feelings may differ in darkness!

There is indeed plenty of construction in Panama City, and if you're considering traveling a few blocks or a kilometer or so, it's probably easier and faster just to walk. The signage that I encountered in construction areas was such that it helped direct the tourists around the construction and to where they were wanting to go anyway.

Have a great trip and let us know how your trip was when you return!

Mentioned in this post
Casco Viejo
Casco Viejo
9,514 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Central America
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: China Town and Fish Market - Panama City

Havent been to PC Chinatown, but like the fish market...if you are a sea food junkie and fisherman like me then you probably will too...although Ive never been in fish market I did not like...not as impressive as some, but lots of fesh fish if you want to pick up some for dinner and lots of ceviche stands. An easy walk from Casco Viejo and nearby parts of Cintura Costal/Balboa.

Edited: 6:32 pm, August 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Casco Viejo
Casco Viejo
9,514 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
19,775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: China Town and Fish Market - Panama City

Looking at Google Maps (which is usually OK) - that is just outside Casco Viejo - I think that part is Santa Ana.

Edited: 6:33 pm, August 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Casco Viejo
Casco Viejo
9,514 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Denver
Level Contributor
243 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: China Town and Fish Market - Panama City

We went during the day and it was fine/safe. Didn't eat there but did go to the fish market had ceviche which was great! Then walked up to Casco Viejo great area on the way passes by the Chinatown area.

Mentioned in this post
Casco Viejo
Casco Viejo
9,514 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
P B
Anchorage, Alaska
10 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: China Town and Fish Market - Panama City

Fish Market was fun. Ate there a few times. Was hot and a bit smelly but local people seemed not to notice either. We did buy both octopus and prawns (largest I have seen), to take home, at about $2.50 per lb so well worth the smell.

Mentioned in this post
The Fish Market
The Fish Market
694 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: China Town and Fish Market - Panama City

I am just back from Panama City. First I need to thank everyone in this post: if it was not this post, I didn't know there's a "Chinatown" in PC.

I stayed right in Casco Viejo. The first time I went, I went from the fish market to the archway. The arch was actually signed by Lee Teng Hui, and I found that extremely interesting. After the arch I got lost and I asked an owner of a Chinese shop where the Kwang Chow Restaurant was. I always thought "Kwang Chow" meaned 旺財........... Then the Chinese shop owner corrected me and it is 廣州, which is Canton... omg, I am Kwang Chower and I didn't even realized it.. The restaurant is right at Avenida B, and 5 mins walk from my hostel. The consequence to know it is so close is I ended up had 3 dinner + 1 breakfast there.... It opens early, and on Sunday when other shops around are all closed, it is still open.

The first dinner I asked was BBQ meat+chicken rice. However, the one they gave me was ginger spring onion chicken rice... And the ginger and spring onion were separated, weird. But the veggy made me very delightful and I didn't complain. Like many other Chinese restaurants, they have a Chinese/Spanish menu and a pure Spanish menu. The two are different, since I saw the next table had a big plate of potato fries and for sure the Chinese menu does not have that.. The other two dinner I had BBQ duck rice and shrimp egg rice noodle. All the dinner I had there were less than 9$ and all tasted good.

Later I saw people even had dim sum there in the morning. Thus in the final morning I was in Casco Viejo, I went to have breakfast. When I went for dinner, the waitress were all Panamaian. In the morning it was a Chinese woman and when she saw me, she directly asked in Cantonese whether I want rice noodle or rice noodle roll lol. They don't have menu for morning's dim sum, and you just order. They have all the dim sum people usually order. The rice noodle roll made me very happy, the shrimp dumplings were also very good, very big shrimps, and shumai and egg tart and... The only regret is I only have one stomach. Didn't have lunch that day.

As for the safety, I don't know it is me or what, but I am a female solo traveler and I don't know Spanish. I don't feel unsafe at all. The area is quite dirty and messy and not much tourist-related stuffs, but I don't feel unsafe. The latest time I went was around 6:30 pm and it was not dark yet. Other shops seem start to close around 6 pm, and after that there's really not much to see. So I don't think anyone, besides those who live there, would go at night.

Behind the Kwang Chow Restaurant, the street that parallel to Avenida B, there is a Guandi Temple, or at least it labeled as Guandi Temple.. beside that it is the Chinese shop I mentioned before. The owner is a friendly Chinese-Panamaian old man, speaks Spanish, English, Cantonese, Mandarin. His shop has some old fashion Chinese things, many of which I have never seen before, and also a lot spicy. He said they have celebration at the Guandi Temple during Lunar New Year.

Mentioned in this post
Casco Viejo
Casco Viejo
9,514 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
17. Re: China Town and Fish Market - Panama City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 05, 2014