We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Albrook Airport to Tocumen International Airport?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Bus from Albrook Airport to Tocumen International Airport?

Hi

I'm flying from Bocas to Albrook Airport in the early morning (7am-ish), and my flight out of Tocumen International Airport is in the afternoon (16.00).

What is the best way to get between the two airports? Is there a bus we can get? I've read that there may be a bus from Albrook BUS terminal to Tocumen, but I'm not clear on whether you can walk to the bus terminal from Albrook airport.

Obviously I could get a taxi, but i'm keen to use public transport when possible...

Thanks!

carp, on
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Albrook Airport to Tocumen International Airport?

You can get a flight from Bocas that lands at Tocumen Airport and save the tranfer. Check Taca Airlines website.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Albrook Airport to Tocumen International Airport?

Only a few of the Bocas flights continue to Tocumen (PTY) most still come and go from Albrook (PAC).

So . . . if you can't change your ticket - YES, the MetroBus has service from the Albrook BUS Terminal to Tocumen TOWN, not to the airport terminal. Same details: Taxi from Albrook airport to the Gran Terminal Nacional de Transporte (Albrook bus terminal) $2 - MetroBus from the terminal to NEAR the airport $1.25 (some Español proficiency will be useful as you want to make sure the driver understands that you want to disembark at the stop closest to the terminal). A short walk (½ mile) or cab ride to the terminal.

OR, a $30 - $35 cab ride will get you from airport to airport.

The advantages of the bus - cheaper and you can waste some time wandering the bus terminal and mall (most stores, however, won't open till 9:00 or 10:00). Plus you'll have another story to tell when you get home.

Another option, unless you've already visited Casco Viejo, take a taxi from Albrook to Casco ($2.50) wander the streets have breakfast or lunch and then take the bus or taxi to PTY.

Hope this helps.

Steve www.panamanotes.com

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Albrook Airport to Tocumen International Airport?

That's really helpful Steve - I might give Casco Viejo a visit, depending on how we're feeling by the end of our trip!

As an additional question, if everything goes smoothly and we've got lots of time to spare, is there any way of adding in a quick visit to the canal in between arriving in Albrook and leaving PTY? I just feel it'd be a shame not to have seen it at all!

Rhiannon

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Albrook Airport to Tocumen International Airport?

The bus kind of depends on what type of traveler you are - if you are used to taking buses, familiar with bus terminals and don't mind walking a bit - the bus is a good option - it is a bit of a hike from where the bus lets you off to the terminal at PTY 1/4 to 1/2 mile - not that big of a problem - if it is not raining and you are packed somewhat lightly.

If you are the type that packs everything and loaded down with suitcases - best to catch a cab,

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Albrook Airport to Tocumen International Airport?

Thanks for your help.

Final question - how far a walk is it from Albrook Airport to Albrook bus terminal? I'm happy to hike a bit, and will be carrying a backpack rather than lugging a suitcase - but if it's far and not that safe, then I'll go for the taxi option.

Also, if there's time I'm thinking of getting a bus from Albrook bus terminal up to Miraflores for a quick peak, before making my way to PTY...so if I could get to Albrook bus terminal easily on foot, that'd be great...

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Albrook Airport to Tocumen International Airport?

remf3 - You could do Miraflores (Canal) OR Casco Viejo, but probably a rush to try both. Bus to the Canal (you will have a mile hike from the main road to the visitors center) will be a Diablo Rojo (school bus) but you won't need to go to the bus terminal - just walk to the the main road and flag down a bus (exit the Albrook terminal go to your left, walk to the stoplight ½ mile, go right a 100 yards and wait for a bus). You will need to return from the Canal to the bus terminal for the airport bus. Allow some extra time if you take the bus to the Canal - the Diablo Rojo do NOT run on a schedule.

Walking from Albrook Airport to the bus terminal - distance likely wouldn't be a problem for you (sounds like you hike a bit) BUT the lack of sidewalks and the intervening VERY busy overpass would make it difficult. Best to use the taxi.

If you do Casco Viejo instead of the Canal, take a taxi to Casco and then catch the MetroBus to the airport by walking down to the Cinta Costera (Avenida Balboa). First bus stop is just past the Fish Market (1 mile walk from Casco).

Wherever you go, if you use a taxi get away from the airport terminal and flag one down (saves some money) AND agree on the fare before you get in.

Good luck.

Steve www.panamanotes.com

7. Re: Bus from Albrook Airport to Tocumen International Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, February 08, 2013