We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama Carnival.

Toronto
1 post
Save Topic
Panama Carnival.

Hey,

I'm going to Costa Rica but driving from San Jose to Panama City on the 24th of Feb. I was wondering if anyone knew which city was the best to spend Carnival in.

Thanks

Panama
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama Carnival.

Hi,

I m from Panama. The best place you could get to is Las Tablas, in Los Santos.

That??d be from the 25 to the 28th of Feb.

Have fun!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama Carnival.

Las Tablas is the classic, best place. This is a small country town that's invaded for 4 days with thousandas of people from the city, creating a mixture of traditional and modern festivity. The main problem is where to stay. The infrastructure is not designed to handle the amount of people, so a lot of people stay with locals (very few hotels), camp out, crash, or stay in othes towns close by. Do not go by yourself.

Panama
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama Carnival.

There are other options beside Las Tablas. You may go to Ocu, in Herrera Province, or you could try Penonomé, in Cocle Province. Another good option is Santiago, in Veraguas Province.

The issue with Las Tablas is a lot of people go there and it is almost impossible to find a place to stay. People do reservations three and, some times, four months before Carnival to get a room.

Roseburg, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama Carnival.

My husband and I will be at Playa Bonita (Panama City) 2/18-21, then Gamboa until the 24th. What should we expect with Carnival going on?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Panama Carnival.

I'm Panamanian and Las Tablas is a great place but you can also stay in the city. I agree with the not being able to get a place to stay. Panamanians do book months in advance. Book now if you are planning on going down there.

Also, if you have not experienced carnaval before be prepared for lots of water and loud music.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panama Carnival.

Weaslit, at the places you're staying you shouldn't have any problems. Panama city is half empty during caranaval, and the half that stays will be partying in very specific places. Both Playa Bonita and Gamboa are close to Panama City, and shouldn't be a problem. You can choose to have a taste of Panama City Carnaval through a guide or group, not alone. It's also possible that there could be more locals at Gamboa during Carnaval, but this is an expensive hotel, and it would mostly be people that can afford it and want to have a quiet alternative to Carnaval.

Get answers to your questions about Panama City