We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations?

NYC
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Vaccinations?

What, if any, vaccinations are advised? How strongly if so?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations?

We've been to Panama twice and didn't get an vaccinations either time and were fine. Panama is a very safe country in all respects. There is an excellent water system. You can drink the water directly from the tap. I didn't see anyone who became ill from either drinking the water or eating the food. We not only ate food on our resort but also at local small restaurants with no problem. I am not aware of any diseases in Panama that you need to protect yourself from. Of course, you should always be current with your tetanus shot (wherever you are) but other than that I wouldn't worry.

Arkansas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations?

Go on the Center For Disease Control - CDC - website and it will give you up-to-date information. You need to take malaria medication and have a yellow fever vaccination plus protect yourself from mosquitoes if you go to the Gamboa or Darien areas. Yes, Panama is very safe, but even the liberal Lonely Planet guide strongly encourages this.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations?

Contrary to the previous posting, all of Panama is not safe from disease. The CDC recommends:

Hepatitis A and Typhoid for all travelers to Panama

Prophylaxis for Malaria is recommended for rural areas in the provinces of Bocas del Toro, Darien and San Blas.

Yellow Fever if you're going to Darien, San Blas, and Panama outside the Canal Zone

Hepatitis B for travelers who may have intimate contact with local residents, especially if visiting for more than 6 months

Rabies for travelers who may have direct contact with animals and may not have access to medical care

All travelers should be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio, and varicella immunizations

You should DEFINITELY contact your travel clinic as much as 4-8 weeks before you go. Some of these vaccinations, such as Hepatitis require boosters.