We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel In PC

Baltimore
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel In PC

I am flying into PC at 2 pm from Miami on a Saturday. I leave from Albrook at 7 am the following morning for Bocas del Toro. I want to see the Canal and the Causeway. I am looking for suggestions for hotel in PC that would best let me visit these sites and get to the airport on time. Also some suggestions for places to eat that give me the local flare would be great. Thanks in advance :)

USA
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel In PC

We just returned from 2 wks in Panama. During our time in PC, we stayed in Casco Viejo. I am so glad we did. It was charming, beautiful, rich in history, had lots of local flavor, and great restaurants. The trip to Albrook from the Casco was easy.

We rented an apartment (Art Deco 1B) through the boutique hotel Los Cuatros Tulipanes. It was lovely and in a very safe area. I recommend LCT. There is also The Canal House - more expensive and really great.

Enjoy,

Jane

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel In PC

Hey Othy, I think U R trying to see too much in too short of a time. You'll see the canal from the plane, the Causeway is "not all that" but there are a few good restaurants out there

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel In PC

Hey othynguyen,

Sounds like a quick trip to PC. I did exactly the same thing back in 2003 - arrived out of Miami in the afternoon and then off to Bocas bright and early the next morning. I agree with the other posters - it's not a lot of time to do much and traffic can hold you up. When we went we spent a couple of days doing 'city' things like the Canal, the Causeway and Gamboa tacked on to the end of our trip. A couple of suggested options:

a) If you stay in Casco Viejo pay a bit more for nice accomodations and skip the canal and amador. Just spend your afternoon wandering around Casco Viejo - enjoy some great food - Manolo Caracol if he is still there. (You can read about Casco Viejo and Manolo at learnaboutpanama.com/Panama-City-Panama.html Hope giving that link is OK with trip advisor!)

b) Save your money if you are not going to have time to enjoy Casco Viejo - stay somewhere like Plaza Paitilla. Go see the canal and after head straight to Amador for dinner and a beautiful view of the city. It's an easy taxi ride to Albrook from Plaza Paitilla. Trip advisor has some good photos and reviews of Plaza Paitilla. (P.S. Have stayed there a number of times and I've never had a problem with crime there myself. Like any big city just keep your wits about you.) Hope this helps!

Edited: 4:55 pm, December 29, 2009
Baltimore
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel In PC

Thanks for the advice. I like option number 2. It sounds perfect. I feel like I can rest when I get to Bocas.

panama city, panama
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel In PC

One thing to keep in mind is the time, if you arrive into PTY at 2PM, you might be able to make it in time to the Miraflores Visitors Center, the ticket office closes at 4:30PM so keep that in mind. If you do make it in time, great, because then you can see the exhibitions and enjoy the views of the canal and then enjoy dinner on the Causeway.

However if you don't make it in time you can enjoy dinner at the Miraflores Restaurant, the food might be slightly overpriced but you will have an amazing view of the Canal especially if you ask to be seated on their outside terrace (ask your hotel to make a reservation).

Also if you want to stay somewhere close to the Canal and the Causeway and the Albrook Airport you want to stay in the Balboa Area, it's 5 minutes from the Albrook Airport and the Causeway, and just 7 minutes from the Canal. And you never have to go into the city to get to any of those points, so you don't have to deal with traffic and such. Check out the Balboa Inn or La Estancia, both in the Balboa Area, La Estancia is on the hill (Cerro Ancon) and Balboa Inn at the foot of the hill. Also they will be very helpful in any extra arrangements you need with regards to taxis or reservations.

Hope this helps

Edited: 8:12 am, December 30, 2009
Baltimore
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel In PC

Do you think it would be possible to go to the hotels that day and try to get a room? I am having a hard time reaching these places to make reservations. Thanks for the advice.

panama city, panama
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel In PC

i wouldn't recommend it, they should answer fairly quickly if you email them or call of course. at balboa inn you can email them reservations@thebalboainn.com and during the week they answer very quickly, at La Estancia you can email them as well or call 314-1581 and they also reply quickly

Las Margaritas/El...
Level Contributor
789 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel In PC

I agree that there isn't much time to do anything if you have a flight the next morning and get to PTY at 2PM. It will take a good 30+ minutes to get through immigration and customs; and another minimum of 15 minutes to get into the city.

I would suggest LaEstancia that is close to Albrook for a hotel. They also have pick-up service at the airport for a fee--which is in line with taxi's to the city. They have a great view of the Bridge of Americas. From there you can take a walk up to the top of Ancon Hill--it is a good walk uphill and will probably take about 45 minutes each way walking. Remember that the sun will set at around 6:30-7:00 p.m. At the top you get a panoramic view of the Amador, Albrook, canal, and city. LaEstancia's website is www.panoramicpanama.com

Mary

www.whypanama.com

Balboa, Panama
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel In PC

Hi othynguyen,

You wrote:

>I am having a hard time reaching these places to make reservations.

>

That's weird. The Balboa Inn website allows you to check availability online and book in real time. Their website is full of info to help you make a choice if it's the right place for you.

Estancia is also nice and I'm sure the staff of both places will reply to an e-mail inquiry within a working day.

Enjoy Panama!

Baltimore
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel In PC

Now I'm having a hard time booking my flight to Bocas on Air Panama. Is there a number I can call from the US? I went to their website but it says that they will contact me and they have not yet. Thanks for the help.

Get answers to your questions about Panama City