We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

nc Coast
Level Contributor
301 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

I am traveling solo and arriving Panama City ( PTY ) airport 2/8/10 around 9:00 PM. Will be leaving 2/10/10 @ 6:30 AM for Bocas from the local airport. ( Albrook I think. )

I am looking for a place that is convenient to Albrook for the early flight to Bocas. Also, safe and not expensive. I have seen mention of La Estancia and the Balboa Inn?? Something $75.00 or less per night if possible.

Since I will only be in Panama City for only one full day, suggestions for a one day quickie tour of the city would be appreciated. I am going to be in Panama for about a month so will likely finish my Panama City excursions, along with a Lake Gatun Fishing trip on the end of my trip.

Also are there airport shuttles to the hotels that are less $$ or should I just plan on a taxi. Taxi fare estimates to any place recommended would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Tocumen Intl Airport
Tocumen Intl Airport
Panama City, Panama
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Albrook Inn
Albrook Inn
212 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
The Balboa Inn
The Balboa Inn
431 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Panama
Panama
Central America
Las Margaritas/El...
Level Contributor
789 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

I would strongly consider LaEstancia (www.panoramicpanama.com). They also do tours and airport pick-up and drop-off's. They are conveniently located near Albrook.

There are no airport shuttles to the hotels in the city. The only airport shuttle is Riande and I would NOT stay there!! We used to stay there until they lost our reservation, even though I had an email proof of the reservation. They told us they were booked for that night and our only alternative was to find a hotel in the city. They wouldn't even call any other hotels to check on vacancies and were VERY RUDE.

Mary

www.whypanama.com

Mentioned in this post
Albrook Inn
Albrook Inn
212 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

see my answer on Thorntree.

Cheers,

Andrew

Balboa, Panama
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

Both La Estancia and the Balboa Inn are great choices for what you want.

A great way to fill your free day would be to check out Casco Viejo in the morning (including its Interoceanic Museum). Then go to the Amador Causeway for a long stroll (or rent a bicyle ) and enjoy the views, breeze and good lunch at Flamenco.

Then around 2-3, take a taxi to the Miraflores locks. Explore the visitor's center, then go to the restaurant on the 2nd floor, get a seat on the terrace and enjoy the spectacle of big ships coming through. You an easily spend 2 hours here.

Then the taxi back, refresh at your B&B and go out of a dinner.

You'll have a great day and spend less than $ 25 on taxi fares.

Thorwald

Mentioned in this post
The Balboa Inn
The Balboa Inn
431 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Casco Viejo
Casco Viejo
9,896 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
4. Re: Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:07 am, February 22, 2010
Edited: 9:07 am, February 22, 2010
USA
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

Patty's Casitas: http://www.pattyscasitas.com/ . It's reasonably priced and the reviews on TripAdvisor are great. I didn't stay there, but talked with Patty and spent 2 days touring with Rudy. Rudy is a very nice guy and fantastic guide. Even though it would be private, his rates are reasonable and you can maximize the amount you do having a private tour. http://www.pattyscasitas.com/tours.htm. Whatever you do, enjoy!

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

We stayed at a wonderful bed and breakfast called the Canal Inn. It is reasonably priced and close to the Albrook airport.

Mentioned in this post
Albrook Inn
Albrook Inn
212 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

We just stayed at the Balboa Inn and were pretty disappointed after reading all the great reviews online. I think it would be fine for a quick overnight, but manage your expectations.

Mentioned in this post
The Balboa Inn
The Balboa Inn
431 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

Good luck with Patty's Casitas - they only have a couple of rooms - and they do not respond to e-mails with inquiries if the dates you want are not available. They just don't bother.

It may be nice there, but customer (NOT) service seems to be lacking.

USA
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

Hm. That was not my experience with Patty's Casitas. I e-mailed them re: dates, and Patty e-mailed me back to say those dates weren't available. She ended up referring me to Los Cuatro Tulipanes (which was great, but more $), and we ended up using Rudy, her husband, as a guide.

10. Re: Reasonable Hotel for two nights in Panama City and tour...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 22, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Panama City