We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellow fever vaccine

central ontario
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
yellow fever vaccine

hoping to go to Panama in November from Canada. Do we need to get the yellow fever vaccine? how soon before we leave is it needed? thanks for any info.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellow fever vaccine

Yellow fever is not a requirement to enter Panama from Canada so don't worry about it - you should have the usual shots up-to-date and it's now recommended for all travelers to have Hep A and Hep B shots so check out the timing required for those as both require multiple shots.

Cheers,

Andrew

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
197 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellow fever vaccine

We just spent 2 weeks in Panama, including several days in the jungle. We didn't get Yellow Fever shots. Just use plenty of repellant. Deet 30% or more is recommended. There WILL be plenty of mosquitos away from the city.

mississauga
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: yellow fever vaccine

Hi

Let me know if you had any problems with the Panamanian authorities entering without the yellow fever shot. I will be going in Feb and am confused as the travel website in Canada stipulates that visitors to Panama require the yellow fever shot.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellow fever vaccine

There is no requirement for the Yellow Fever shot to enter Panama unless you are coming from an endemic area like parts of South America or Africa.

There was a couple of weeks when they thought about making it mandatory again but that was soon rescinded - there hasn't been a case of yellow fever in Panama in over 50 years.

The Canadian website needs to be updated.

My wife flew back to Canada in January and then again with our son in March - no yellow fever shots needed.

Cheers,

Andrew

arizona
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: yellow fever vaccine

My mother was notified by COPA airlines, that she will not be allowed to embark (she is leaving from Rio, Brazil) unless she has proof of vaccination against yellow fever. Her final destination is Orlando, Florida with stop over in Panama City for airplane change. Is this true? If not, what can I obtain to show the airline authorities. Thank you. My e-mail is accwang@hotmail.com.

Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: yellow fever vaccine

Hi all,

I would at least read some official health organization requirements and recommendations on-line, and talk to your primary care physician or local travel clinic. Official recommendations are to get vaccinated.

While it's nice to hear that others managed to avoid yellow fever without getting vaccinated, parts of Panama are endemic areas and all it takes is getting bitten by that one infected mosquito. There is no effective treatment once you get it, and the results can be devastating, and include death. I wouldn't just take my chances. Some official recs are on these websites, the cdc one is specifically for travelers from the US but I'm sure Canada has an equivalent:

www.embassyofpanama.org/cms/vaccinations3.php

wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/panama.aspx

Notice that in additional to Yellow Fever, hepatitis A and malaria are also worth preventing.

Healthy travels!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yellow fever vaccine

Sounds like a doctor speaking....or a travel clinic - they are iin the business to make money.

Please realize side effects from Yellow Fever can be quite devastating. Wear bug repellent and go!

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yellow fever vaccine

Brazil is a Yellow Fever endemic country that requires all tourists entering to have a valid Yellow Fever vaccination certificate. Anyone leaving from Brazil also has to show a vaccination certificate when arriving at pretty much anywhere not just Panama - I am sure the US authorities will want to see it as well.

She needs to go to a public health clinic or a travel health clinic or her own doctor to get the shot - they will give her a certificate showing the date etc of the vaccination which she will need to carry with her for passing through immigration both in Panama and the US.

She should be able to get the shot and the card very quickly as it's not like Hepatitis where you have to wait between shots.

Cheers,

Andrew

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yellow fever vaccine

Hi, Andrew,

I should correct something you wrote above: tourists entering Brazil from the U.S. are not required to have a YF vax; they DO, however, have to show proof if they've been in an endemic country (like Ecuador) prior to arriving in Brazil. My sister and I traveled there last year--I had to have the certificate, and she did not as she traveled directly there from the U.S. She did not have to show proof upon re-entering the U.S.

LN, doctors are not "in the business" to make money. I didn't get a sense at all that that poster is a doctor, but a well-informed traveler. The side effects of YF are "devastating" if you're one of the 1 in 8 million who experience them. You are more likely to contract YF from an infected mosquito than have an allergic reaction to the vaccine.

10. Re: yellow fever vaccine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:35 am, March 03, 2010
Edited: 11:35 am, March 03, 2010