We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

stoxabc
Level Contributor
5 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

I have read in a couple of places, not in many, that you have to prove economic solvency to enter Panama. Is this true? If so, what is it?

Thanks

Evanston, IL
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

Wow. I haven't seen that! But I have a guess: You may have to show that you have a return airplane ticket. And you may have to tell them where you are staying. Neither is uncommon. And in some countries you must declare the amount of money you are taking into the country. That isn't as common as the first two, but isn't isolated either.

Could that be what you mean?

stoxabc
Level Contributor
5 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

Could be...but, on the Tocumen Airport website it says something about economic solvency and $500. along with a return ticket ( under arriving passengers). It is in Spanish so I couldn't understand all of it but, I do believe thats what it says... Check it out: tocumenpanama.aero

Thanks for your info.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

It is not true.

California
Level Contributor
98 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

We just returned from Panama. We flew Copa Air out of LAX on the trip down. The flight attendants gave us a standard tourist document that asked the purpose of our visit, our destination, etc. I have never heard anything about economic requirements.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

Crossing the border from Costa Rica they are interested in your forward plans,some form of ticket out of the country is usually acceptable (cheap return bus ticket to San Jose will do the trick)

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

It actually is the law -- outbound ticket and $500 cash. For the outbound ticket, the airlines are the enforcers; i.e., sometimes they won't let people board in the US on a one-way ticket. Re: the $500, if you are US or Canadian or European, they will never ask. If you are Colombian, they might.

Balboa, Panama
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

And if you have a credit card with a minimum limit of $ 500, show that upon request :-).

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

This is mainly aimed at residents of other Central American and South American countries - a lot of women come to Panama to work as domestic help etc - they need to show this $500 in cash at the border or they can't get in for their "vacation".

This is especially true at the road border with Costa Rica but also at Tocumen if you are a citizen of neighboring countries - Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Colombia etc.

When coming here as a tourist from North America or Europe you will "never" be asked for this - at least I have never heard of anyone being asked in the past 11+ years.

Cheers,

Andrew

9. Re: Arriving in Panama - Tocumen Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:22 am, October 21, 2009