We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last night in Panama

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Last night in Panama

We will be finishing up our trip in PC on February 20 and flying home the next morning. Plan was to eat dinner at Manolo Caracol. I think that the carnival may already be underway on February 20, is that right? I'm assuming we'll need a dinner reservation for the Friday evening. Do you think I'll have a problem if I wait until we're actually in Panama to make the reservation? We'd be contacting them on February 9. Or should I be reserving over the web? I have looked at their website and there is a reservation page (in Spanish).

Thanks,

Susan

Panama, Rep de...
Level Contributor
261 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last night in Panama

This is an iteresting question; I have not been in Panama City for carnaval in many years. like many panamanians i go to the country. i think most of the celebrations are going to be held around the transistmica (from la salle to the entrance to el ingenio) - although i hear there is some strong opposition to this by the residents in Bethania.

My guess is that there would not be a lot of things going on around Casco Viejo so you should not have a problem, asides from finding transportation to and from the hotel( can anyone pitch in? )

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last night in Panama

Thanks for the reply. Well, I tried the online reservation thing. If I don't get a confirmation from them, I'll call when I get to Panama City on Feb 7.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last night in Panama

I think you'd probably get a reservation if you called in the morning. But, personally, I wouldn't be so focused on Manolo Caracol -- I've had one great dinner there, two OK ones, and one bad one. If you want to dine in Casco Viejo, S'cena is a great alternative. And if you want to dine in Panama City, there are about a gazillion great options.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last night in Panama

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't say that I'm focused only on Manolo Caracol - we'll have 2 nights at the start of the trip and possibilities are S'Cena, Siete Mares and so on. It more or less depends on where we're at that day. But for our night, we're flying back from Bocas del Toro in the late afternoon, so dinner out will probably be our only activity in PC.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last night in Panama

See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294480-i1194-k240…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last night in Panama

Sometimes, more choices are not necessarily a good thing :)

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last night in Panama

Understood, but consistency is the bane of all restaurants in Panama -- and maybe everywhere.

E.g., all the guidebooks point to Manolo Caracol, so lots of tourists put it on their shortlist. For me -- I live here and have dinner out 2-3 times a week -- it doesn't even make the top 30.

Manolo Caracol is in a fun location, and the interior is nice; I'm just not impressed with the food.

Siete Mares might make my top 20; it is consistent, but not particularly unique or exceptional, imho.

Your mileage may vary, of course -- but when I'm headed off to a strange city, I like to hear from people who live there. I thought that's what these forums were all about. :-)

And, honestly, I am NOT trying to say that my opinions are any more than that; they're just opinions, and not worth any more than those of the thousands of other posters here.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last night in Panama

I love Manolo Caracol. Never had a bad meal there. Very consistent for us. I will keep others in mind, however, for another meal in PC.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last night in Panama

Oh, I forgot to mention: I also think it's waaay overpriced... :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last night in Panama

I think that the one constant with restaurants is that for any given restaurant, you'll often find people who love it and people who don't. I follow the Toronto restaurants on chowhound and that's the certainly the case there. (Certainly that's the case with Tim Horton's coffee shops here in Canada - their coffee is hugely popular and I won't drink it unless I'm desperate. I'm looking forward to good coffee in Panama, but I digress.....)

Anyway, thanks for all the advise!