We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Panama

new york city
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Panama

I am planning a 2 week trip to Panama, and am wondering if it is feasible to get around without renting a car. I am tentatively planning to spend a few days in PC and Gamboa, then fly to David and make my way to Boquete, Guadalupe, and then dropping down to Punta Burica. Thank you!

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Panama

Yes you can get around without a car, locals do it all the time, taxis in the city and towns, buses between cities.

Skip staying at Gamboa, take a day trip out there but stay the extra nights in PC.

Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Panama

If you know where you want to go and what you want to see,than taking a taxi is the economical way to go $2.00 US to anywhere in the city. If not contact a tour guide service a number of which are recommended elsewhere on this site,they will speak english and save you time and offer convenience,

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Panama

Guys, the OP is only planning a few days in PC. True, no need for taxis in the city, but a taxi from David to Boquete will be kind of spendy. I'd rent a car in David, drive to Boquete and your other stops, then return it in David. (I assume you're flying back from David to PC; one-way car rentals down here tend to be very expensive.) Alternative: Take one of the frequent and cheap buses to Boquete, then rent the car after you come down the hill. But, personally, I'd prefer to have a car in Boquete to poke around freely.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Panama

Another reason to skip Gamboa: The taxi fare out there is steep.

5. Re: Getting around Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, October 14, 2009