We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review this 10 day itinerary

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Please review this 10 day itinerary

Hi Everyone!

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Panama for about ten days in November. I was hoping for some suggestions to our rough itinerary and insight on the weather at that time. Also, how are the accommodations we’ve selected? And what’s the best way to visit San Blas?

Day 1- Arrive Panama City (approx 10:30 pm) Night in Panama City

Day 2 and Day 3- Explore Panama City: Staying at “La Estancia”

-Canal

-Trip to Gamboa Rainforest and Monkey Island? Zip line canopy tour?

-Casual Shopping

-Wining and Dining (Calle Uruguay)

-Amadador Causeway

- Casco Viejo

Day 4 – Early 5 a.m. rise and fly to San Blas Island to spend day and night with Kuna People (arrange with Felix as recommended by previous posts)

Day 5- Early a.m. rise and back to Panama City. Drive to Farallon and check into Royal Decameron.

Rest of Day 5, Day 6 and Day 7 Royal Decameron

-Relax, water sports

-El Valle

-Penonome

Day 8- Early rise and drive back to Panama City. Fly out to Bocas Del Toro in afternoon and check in to Hotel Bocas del Toro

Rest of Day 8, Day 9 and Day 10 Bocas Del Toro

-Snorkeling

-Visit surrounding islands

-Dining

-Nightlife

Day 11- Fly back to Panama City early morning and catch afternoon flight to Toronto (5 hour window for delays)

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please review this 10 day itinerary

First I want to commend you for being from Toronto and not spending the entire trip at RD, a few days are fine but more than that is overkill.

Looks like a fun trip, not sure your age but I see Calle Uruguay on you schedule. It is always a lot of fun, Thursday - Saturday are the busiest with Wednesday not bad. A couple of suggestions for Clubs:

Guru

Koas-techo music - wednesday's they have some Salsa mixed in and some nights they have 80's music

There is a reggatone club on the corner across from Koas that seems to be the hot spot Wednesday nights.

May not be your type of music but stil a fun time.

Don't bother going before midnight.

Sahara - more of a bar but good live music, when i was last there they had a blues band with a gringo singer that was pretty good.

Restaurants -

Check out 10 Bistro my favorite in PC

Wine Bar - (Cangrejo location) always have a small jazz band, small but intimate, great place for a drink after dinner.

The bar at the Radisson - upscale, great sofas and chairs for relaxing and having a drink.

You'll have a great time, wish I had 10 days to go, but probably a good thing, I might never come back.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please review this 10 day itinerary

Wow, thanks for the awesome nightlife advice CDY!

To answer age, we're mid twenties and always looking for the night action so I'll definitely look into your suggestions.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please review this 10 day itinerary

I hope you'll post a trip report when you get back. We're going to PC for 2 weeks in February and planning a similar itinerary, although we're going to Boquete instead of RD. I'm really looking forward to it.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please review this 10 day itinerary

Just had to chime in as another Torontonian heading to Panama! We're planning to go for about 10 days in February or March. We'll also be skipping RD :) and are going to Boquete and Bocas in addition to time in PC.

Would love to hear about your trip when you get back.

Jana

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please review this 10 day itinerary

Okay, apparently the Rd is completely booked for the month of November. I was hoping someone can give some thought as to if we should just stay one night in El Valle de Anton and add more days to the Bocas el Toro portion of our trip. Please advise thanks.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
726 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please review this 10 day itinerary

El Valle is great for birds and wildlife. Bocas is great for wildlife (in bars). I love them both.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please review this 10 day itinerary

I think you could enjoy El Valle for two days; get rested up for all that bar hopping in Bocas! Or, go stay at Las Sirenas at the beach in Santa Clara down the road about 1/2/ hour from Decameron.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please review this 10 day itinerary

I think I'm actually happy the RD is booked. I'm now looking at doing one day/night in El Valle de Anton and one day/night at Las Sirenas in Santa Clara...now if I could only get a good recommendation for lodging in San Blas...Thanks for all your help!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please review this 10 day itinerary

YOu are going to be sorry you didn't stay at least TWO Nights at Las Sirenas! Get Cabin # 5, right on the edge of the precipice that looks down to the beach. Great ocean view, and one can lie in the hammock on the "porch" and see the beach.

I can't help you with San Blas, I didn't like where we stayed there. Just don't expect a high level of amenities and comfort. I don't think the Kuna are into a high level of cleanliness and the cabins are very rustic. Breakfast consists of eggs, one day a hot dog, bread. We had fried fish, shrimp, octopus, and baked chicken for dinner. Fresh fruit for dessert. Overall pretty decent, but my husband was a bit disappointed there was never lobster or crab.

You should bring snacks as the food may not always be to your liking and getting snacks there is limited. You may want to bring a battery lantern to read by in the evening as electrify is supplied by solar power but was adequate otherwise. The Kuna people are very friendly and the kindest people!

P.S. Take those silk sleep in bags as the sheets can be coarse and not of a good quality. We got the dream sacks from L. L. Bean - all sizes and packs up to just a 4" sack - easy to carry for travel. Take bug repellent for when you arrive at the Kuna's small airstrip. We were eaten alive by no-see-ums there. Just plan ahead and keep an large umbrella handy in case you land in the rain as your will travel to your island in the open boats which the Kuna 's navigate. If you don't have an umbrella or some kind of tarp to put over your suitcases on this 1/2 hour boat ride, your luggage can get all wet and may never dry with the tropical humidity as there is no air conditioning. Didn't feel hot to us without air cond, but then we are from Florida and used to the heat.

Islands and ocean are very clear, blue and beautiful.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Please review this 10 day itinerary

Hi Everyone!

So after reading some responses and doing a little more research, I’ve tweaked the itinerary. Please offer your suggestions and let me know if I’m missing something truly significant.

Day 1(Thursday): Arrive Panama City (10 pm) Night in Panama City

La Estancia

Day 2: Explore Panama City/ Night in Panama City

La Estancia

Day 3: Early Rise and fly to San Blas.

Still trying to decide where to stay here. Please offer suggestions on the best islands and what they offer (thanks)

Night in San Blas

Day 4 (Sunday): Early Rise and fly back to Panama City.

Pick up rental car and drive to El Valle de Anton.

Night at Anton Valley Hotel

Day 5: Drive to Santa Clara

Night at Las Sirenas

Day 6 (Tuesday): Drive to Gamboa Rainforest Resort

Day at Rainforest (is this enough time?- want to do Monkey Island Tour) and then spend night in Panama City

Day 7 (Wednesday): Early rise and fly to Bocas Del Toro

Check in to Hotel Bocas Del Toro

Day 8, Day 9, Day10: Bocas Del Toro

(should I split up my accommodations on an island?)

Day 10 (Saturday): Leave Bocas Del Toro at 5:30

Fly into Panama City

Night in Panama City –Last night to wine and dine and party!

Day 11: 10 am flight home to Toronto

Questions/Concerns:

1)San Blas : where to stay?

2)Can we zip line in El Valle or is this best done at Gamboa Rainforest?

3)Is an entire day at Gamboa enough time to do Monkey Island and take Air Tram?

4)Should I split my time on different islands in Bocas and if so, which ones do you suggest?

5)Should I be looking into David or Boquete?

6)Weather in November –are we talking little showers or complete downpour?

Get answers to your questions about Panama City