We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Chiriqui to Bocas del Toro --> HELP !!!!

We are trying to travel from Chiriqui/David to Bocas del Toro, and apparently it's not as easy as you would think. having looked at the flight schedules on the Aeroperlas website, I thought it would be no problem. It lists scheduled daily flights from Monday thru Friday. However, when we went to actually book our flights, it turns they only run on Mon, Wed, & Friday, and naturally we are traveling on Tuesday.

Does anyone know of an alternative ? We would certainly prefer to fly to save time, but I have heard the bus ride is only about 4 hrs from coast to coast, and also pretty reliable within the country. BUT...I can't find any webnsites or official information regarding the bus service.

Would it be a totally bad idea to rent a car ?

Thanks in advance !!!!!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Chiriqui to Bocas del Toro --> HELP !!!!

You can take a bus from David. But if you want to stop along the way it might be better to hire a driver/tour guide. Renting a car is also an option if you need to make the return trip. The trip is over 4 hours.

I would suggest taking the bus or private driver one way and flying on the return.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Chiriqui to Bocas del Toro --> HELP !!!!

It should be relatively easy and cheap to catch a bus from David to Bocas, but the plane is the best method.

New YORK
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Chiriqui to Bocas del Toro --> HELP !!!!

Hello,

We had the same problem. The inn we stayed at in Boquete recommended hiring a driver and it worked out great. It cost 120.00, we did not have to leave our rented car at the port and we relaxed and took in the sights!! We did catch a plane from Bocas to Panama City to end our trip!! The trip from Boqete took 3 hours. Hope this helps. I think the bus would be fine but probably a longer trip (but cheaper!!!) Have Fun!!!!!!1

Maryland
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Chiriqui to Bocas del Toro --> HELP !!!!

My husband and I and our 17 year old son took the launch from Bocas and then the bus to David. It was great and I highly recommend it! Very cheap and the buses are quite efficient. The whole trip took us less than five hours and we enjoyed it thoroughly.

5. Re: Getting from Chiriqui to Bocas del Toro --> HELP !!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 22, 2009