We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in Panama City

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Taxis in Panama City

I was in Panama City, Panama recently and spent $430.00 for a taxi at a rate of $9.00 per hour. I went once to Colon and portobello and another day to Coronado and short trips around the city with some waiting. Is this reasonable? Somehow I felt jipped bacause for the same 6 day period my hotel bill was $140.00.

Please, anyone in the know, advise as to whether this is within range or a ripoff. Thanks so much

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in Panama City

I've often rented Taxis for days at a time to do the running around that I needed to do. Although mostly in the city, I've taken trips out to Vera Cruz, Coronado and other more distant type drives and have never spent more than $35 - $40 per day but have offered to fill the gas tank. I think you were taken for a ride (no pun intended). Most cabbies in Panama City hope to make $150 - $200 a month. If they do, they're doing quite well. Did you find the cab driver in front of your hotel and he happened to speak English better than most? There's a whole "gang" of taxi drivers that used to drive for the military back when the U.S. had bases there, that seem to congregate around the El Panama and Hotel Veneto that speak nearly perfect English but will take you for every gringo dollar you brought along.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in Panama City

You paid $140 for 6 days of hotel?!? Where did you stay? In a park? Or do you mean $140 per day?

You paid about $72 for an 8-hour day of a car with driver. I imagine the driver was also somewhat of a guide. I think that it is a very reasonable price, to have a such a service. How much would that cost in Toronto? $430 for 6 days is cheaper than it would probably cost you to rent a car without a driver. Sure, you expect Panama to be cheaper than other countries, and you can probably get a better price than that, but I think it's a fair price if you are pleased with the service, more so considering he drove you to places that are far away.

utah
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in Panama City

We are going to Panama City right away. Since there are 6 of us we have planned to rent a SUV -- very pricey. Is there a way to find taxis that would fit our whole group?

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis in Panama City

There are more vans in Panama than anywhere (especially a small country) I've ever been. You should have no problem finding a van to haul the whole group around as often as you need. You may have to ask the concierge at your hotel and then work a deal with the driver but you should have no problem.

utah
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis in Panama City

That is a relief. We are also going to David for three days and to Colon. I suppose we could take the bus to Colon and then get a taxi from there. Part of our schedule also consists of a three day trip to David. Any suggestions?

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis in Panama City

For OmahaBeachMum: Rather than look at renting an SUV see if the rental company has a minivan - it will be a bit cheaper - and by the time you figure out where to get a taxi van (not as common as Borracho makes out - there are a lot of vans but they are mostly school buses and have set routes that keep them very busy and they can't legally be used as a "taxi") and the hassle of waiting for them etc, you may find it as economical to rent a van.

Also, if you take a taxi van for the 3 days - you will also have to pay for the hotel and food for the driver and all the gas on top of that.

As to the original question - with the increase in fuel costs here that is a pretty standard hourly rate for taxis - if you speak Spanish and can bargain hard you may get it down to $8.00 an hour - a year ago you could get it as low as $6.00/hour but those days are over.

Cheers,

Andrew

Panama, Rep. Panama
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis in Panama City

"Most cabbies in Panama City hope to make $150 - $200 a month."

It is not real, they hope to make $750 or more, with $300 or less you are out of the business because you can not pay a car in Panama or the rest of the world and make profit with.

Wyoming USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis in Panama City

Fuel prices have went through the roof all over the world...too

9. Re: Taxis in Panama City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Panama City