We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama Canal Partial Transit North or Southbound

2 posts
Save Topic
Panama Canal Partial Transit North or Southbound

I would like to know, if there is any difference between the two.

Is it that for Northbound we go up the locks and the ship ascends and on Southbound, they drop the water levels, so that the ship descends?

Are both different experiences? Which one is better?

Thank you

3 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama Canal Partial Transit North or Southbound

It really doesn't make any difference. There is no sensation of movement in the locks. Neither up nor down.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama Canal Partial Transit North or Southbound

Thank you so much. Do you have any preference between the two based on the starting point and drop off. We are planning to live in Panama City.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama Canal Partial Transit North or Southbound

Okay. There are my honest and personal thoughts about transits on the Panama Canal: I think they cost an excessive amount of money and time that can be spent better by most visitors. I say that after "locking up" and "locking down" at various times (which is what the Zonians who work on the Canal call going up or down through the locks). You can actually get a better view of the locks and how they function from the museum and the viewing platforms at the Miraflores visitors' center. It will take less time, too. Two hours versus 4 - 8 hours.

Please note that there are only two companies that actually offer the tours and have the boats that make the tours. One is Bay and Canal Tours. The other is Panama Marine Adventures. All the other tour companies simply repackage the tickets from these two tour providors.

Reply to: Panama Canal Partial Transit North or Southbound
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted