We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emergency medical care

Level Contributor
260 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Emergency medical care

I read that Panama offers tourists free emergency medical care for 2013, good for 30 days. Will this also be in effect for 2014? Hope so!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emergency medical care

Yes is part of the law in our country for tourists during the first 30 days, normally you will receive a insurance card on the airport, if not, you always have emergency attending for any accident or health problems.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emergency medical care

In all my trips to Panama, I have never received a card at the airport. That's very typical. But, the health care is for real and the hospitals know it and recognize it.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
16,239 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emergency medical care

The cards were usually given out by women in national costume, who often seemed to prefer chatting with each other rather than giving things to the visitors. But I haven't seen them recently.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
124 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emergency medical care

I've gotten one in the past, maybe 2 years ago. Haven't seen the lately, and hope I don't need to utilize (but I'm glad it's there).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emergency medical care

I got one at the airport in August (as did everyone in my family) when we went through immigration. It was tucked into our passports. However, we went to the emergency room one night and were never asked for it and were not charged a penny. They do however ask for your passport at the clinic/hospital, which is probably how they know you have been there 30 days or less. Hope you don't need it.

6. Re: Emergency medical care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 04, 2014