We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental in Panama City

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Rental in Panama City

Im looking for a cheap reliable car rental company to rent from in Panama City and drop it off in Boquette. I figured maybe a local company would be cheaper. Any suggestions?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental in Panama City

There are only two car rental companies in Boquete and they don't have anything to do with the car rental companies in PC so I don't think that will work.

Are you renting a car because you want to see the countryside or are you visiting places along the way? You might be better off just renting the car in Boquete instead.

The national car rental chains; hertz, national, etc. are all at David Airport. So that might be what you are looking for. One way rentals however are very expensive.

How about a shuttle driver?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental in Panama City

Yea we thought about taking the bus. But we thought it would be fun just to drive and stop if we seen something that was interesting. How far is David from PC?

Also when you say expensive, how much money do you guesstimate it would be for a one way?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental in Panama City

Quick check on Expedia (I don't recommend one OBE over another) the one way rental was $280 and above and the return trip car rental was anywhere from $100 to $135. Now remember, in Latin American you have to tell the car rental place if you want a manual or an automatic transmission. You can get them both in Panama but you pay about $10 more for the automatic (if it matters to you).

The drive from PC to David is about 6 1/2 hours in a car with only one stop. It is a beautiful drive. The scenery is lovely and worth the expense of getting the car I think. You really won't see much that looks interesting along the way. And getting off the main road, in a compat car is really not a good idea. The roads in Panama leave a lot to be desired. Many of them are not paved and that's why you see so many people talking about the insurances most car rental companies make you take out.

You don't say how long you are in Panama so I don't know if the driving thing is appropriate. If you have at least a week and are just going to Boquete you will be okay. We came for 21 days the first time and drove the whole time but we drove all over the place. It was nice to have the freedom of having a car.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental in Panama City

We will be staying for 10 days, we plan hitting Boquete and we would like to go to Bocas. But to get that in we may have to fly back.

5. Re: Rental in Panama City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 11, 2014