We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama: Stay or go?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Panama: Stay or go?

We are scheduled to begin our trip to Panama on Friday. The plan was to fly into Panama City, spend the night, fly to Bocas, spend a few days (enjoy the week of carnival) and then head back to Panama City where we would fly out. Air Panama tickets were purchased back in early December and no confirmation was given. I have sent many, many emails asking for confirmation and the two hotels in PC and Bocas have bent over backwards, walked on water, and everything else trying to insure our flights. It doesn't look good and now we are probably out of luck...stuck in PC for a few nights without a room booked during Carnival. Our best guess right now is that we'll have to cancel and suffer a financial loss. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any suggestions. Are the Pearl Islands out of the question on such short notice? Friends, throw me a bone...

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama: Stay or go?

The lack of confirmation is very typical of Air Panama. It's certainly maddening and frightening, but every time I've showed up at the airport, they have had my reservations.

Check your credit card statements and make a copy of the statement showing the charges from Air Panama. Take the copy with you to Albrook, just in case, and show up early.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama: Stay or go?

The problem is, they've told the hotels they don't have any record of us and they don't seem to know what to do with the statement we've already given them. I think we're done. Maybe I should have someone stick a fork in me to make sure.

chicago
Level Contributor
57 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama: Stay or go?

Isla Contadora, which my sister and I visited a year ago, apparently now has a ferry that departs from the area around the Trump Tower in Panama City, so this might be a viable option.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama: Stay or go?

Don't worry about a hotel room in the city. Most people leave the city for the interior, Las Tablas, Penonome, etc for Carnaval. There will be rooms available in PC.

No, not too late for visiting Contadora. Website and prices:

http://www.sealasperlas.com/

info@sealasperlas.com

Sealasperlas: +507 391 1424

I love the Pearl Islands. If you do decide to go, I can then post more info about Las Perlas. They won't have much, however, in the way of Carnival, I don't think.

Don't lose money, just come anyway....

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panama: Stay or go?

Definitely go!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panama: Stay or go?

Thanks, everyone. Our hotel managed to get the job done so we're set to go!

San Antonio, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Panama: Stay or go?

DEFINITELY STAY IN PANAMA !!!

Much better than it's neighboring countries for sure!!!

Beautiful Capital with two attractive old sites like Panama Viejo and Casco Viejo... decent size historical places with alot of attractions especiallly in Casco Viejo I was thrilled.

Other cities like Cartagena and San Juan only have those beautiful castles and forts that makes their old cities look bigger but Panama's Casco Viejo to me looks more authentic and less "disneylandish"

It has good salsa, jazz nights omg the people love it!!

Panamanians in general are very cool and very laid back..

GO TO BOCAS it is so beautiful over there great beaches very pristine and that's an advantage that Panama has over it's neighboring countries is it's beaches like the San Blas Islands, the Pearl Islands in the Pacific has some of the crystal clearest water I have ever seen, Bocas del Toro, coastal areas and islands of the Azuero Peninsula, is extremely wild and beautiful with Iguana Island just a few minutes offshore on boat.

Edited: 11:39 pm, May 24, 2013
8. Re: Panama: Stay or go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 26, 2014