We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

Hey guys.

I am currently in Columbia and will be looking to travel to Panama by boat in about 3-4 weeks time.

I am finding it difficult to get information regarding this. Does anyone have any recommendations??

It appears a large part of the trip is sailing through rough seas for over 30 hours which isn't meant to be very exciting- just wondering is it a good option to fly to Panama and catch a boat to tour the Sand Blas Islands from the Panama side?? Any suggestions?

Also does anyone know much regarding the Panama Canal- is it worth visiting, is it on the tourist trail or is it just like going looking at a large canal!! I haven't met anyone who has visited it before.

Regards

Kevin

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

Do you mean Columbia the river in Washington State or Columbia the university in NYC? Or, do you mean Colombia the country in South America?

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

Now gb_williams what do you think?

If... 'I am currently in Columbia and will be looking to travel to Panama by boat in about 3-4 weeks time'....I am sure one would assume I am hardly going to be travelling by boat from a river in Washington State....or from a University in NYC...

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,970 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

gb is being sarcastic about the fact that you did not spell it correctly.

San (= saint) does not have a d.

The Panama Canal is a very big ship canal - and is very much on the tourist trail.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

Thanks for that beardocubank!! I was just after 18 hour bus journey so not thinking straight!! Dont know why someone goes to the trouble of answering a blog and not actually leaving any useful information!! :)

I will be looking to get the boat to the San Blas Islands from Colombia. Is the Canal easily accessible? Do you have to go from Panama city? Is it far etc? Sorry for all the questions!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,970 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

The canal runs from Panama City to Colon. There is a visitors centre at the locks at Miraflores near Panama City. There is also a visitors centre near the Gatun locks at the other end.

There are boat tours that take tourists through some of the locks - that is referred to a transiting the canal (partial or full) - some think they are expensive for what they are. I haven't done one yet myself.

There are also boat tours on Gatun lake.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

The Canal is much more than a big ditch. Most of the length of the canal is actually in a big lake -- Gatun Lake. Personally, I think to boat tours on Gatun Lake are over priced and totally touristy. That said, many of the tourists love the monkey island tour.

If you land in San Blas, your easiest access will by by road to Panama City. That puts you closest to the Miraflores Visitor's Center. Well worth seeing. The museum is very good and the locks are an engineering marvel. When you see the huge, steel gates open and close, keep in mind they are so finely balanced that since 1914 each one has been opening and closely solely on the power of a 5 horse electric motor.

If you fly to Panama, you can either fly to El Porvenir (San Blas) from Albrook or travel overland from the city by jeep. Be sure to read the horror tales and recent recommendations in various TA threads about sailing San Blas.

Sorry for giving you a hard time about Colombia vs. Columbia. 18 hours on a bus -- you're entitled to make that mistake. Too often the misspelled place names in these threads are a result of some people not caring or bothering to learn or understand the places. It's like repeatedly addressing someone by the wrong name. Sometimes, it's honest nievity. Sometimes, it's negligence. And, sometimes it's just downright gringo arrogance.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,970 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

nievity ? Is that related to snowing ?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

LOL -- yes, but only in Columbia. My bad ... whack my knuckles with a ruler and make me write "naivety" 100 times.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,970 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

jejejeje

10. Re: Columbia to Panama & Panama Canal??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, December 18, 2013