We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone call to U. S.

long island
Level Contributor
225 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
phone call to U. S.

Can someone help me? I will need to phone New York on a daily basis from my vacation at the Royal Decameron resort. Any suggestions as to the most simple and inexpensive way to do this? I do not speak spanish(although I try) Thank-you.

washington
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: phone call to U. S.

You can buy a phone card at Super 99 or other places. Make sure that it says that it is for international phone calls AND that the card is for public phones. Then the calls to the US are just 7 cents a minute. You will not want to make the phone calls from your hotel room because most hotels charge a very high connection rate even if you are using a prepaid card. You can buy the card for $10 or $20 worth of minutes. You can refill the card with minutes when you run out. The card is white with orangeish red coloring on it. You have to peel off the coating covering your code number so make sure that you peel gently. It seems that the English language is a national passion in Panama City, at least. So you should not have any problems. You probably already know that when you call the US from here, you dial 1 for the US country code before you dial your area code and phone number.

Good luck and have fun!

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
378 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phone call to U. S.

The phone cards work, just need to know the country code for the US. My husband also got a special service on his cell phone that worked most of the time. Also, E-mail is a good way to stay in touch with internet bars all over the place or by bringing you own laptop.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phone call to U. S.

The phone cards work wonderful! 6 cents a minute. You just buy one for either $5, $10, $20, ETC and dial 165 into a pay phone. then enter the card number. I just returned from panama a couple days ago.....still have a few bucks on my card if you want the number you can have it it expires in 30 days. Just let me know!