We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama Caribbean Coast

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Panama Caribbean Coast

My family will be spending next summer in Panama Caribbean coast. We are hoping to find a quaint, laidback, and quiet town like Cahuita or Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. We want to be able to walk to the beach, town center, and local stores. Public transportation must be available since we aren’t planning on renting a car. We would like to rent a house or a 2 bedroom cabina. Any suggestions will be certainly appreciated.

Thanks. Jakey.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama Caribbean Coast

Bocas del Toro is really your only choice, you could look at Isla Grande also but I would not call it quaint.

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama Caribbean Coast

Thank you CDY. I will certainly do some research on Isla Grande. You suggested Bocas del Toro. Do you have a specific, quaint town in mind in Bocas? A laidback town that is within walking distance to the beach? Thanks again.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama Caribbean Coast

Bocas Town is the only laid back town in Bocas del Toro. Except for a couple of very small villages, it's the only town in Bocas del Toro. But, the beaches are long walks from town. The better beaches are on a nearby island, Bastimentos. You get there by taking one of the many water taxis that go back and forth among the islands.

Isla Grande is also very small. There is one beach -- about 50 feet long -- at Bananas Resort. But, Bananas is on the opposite side of the island from the only village. The village has a couple of restaurants and a couple of cabanas. It has one paved sidewalk that is the main thoroughfare, which runs less than a kilometer. If you dive, there are a few good dive sites off Isla Grande. It's a great place for a few days, but I wouldn't recommend it for any longer.

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama Caribbean Coast

Thank you very much for you input. I think I will expand my search for a quiet Panama vacation to the Boquete area.

Thanks again.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panama Caribbean Coast

If you're looking at Boquete, check out Cerro Punta, also. It's the forgotten treat of Panama's highlands.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panama Caribbean Coast

You won't be walking to the beach in Boquete - it is a mountain town only.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panama Caribbean Coast

The Caribbean beach for the summer to the mountains for the summer? It is difficult to help when you are bouncing around on ideas of where to stay.

8. Re: Panama Caribbean Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 27, 2011