We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Prices

USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Food Prices

For some reason, no one posts in this forum. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but usually in other areas of this site, people are very interactive. Perhaps this is a good thing (not tons of tourists in Panama?) but if anyone wants to give me a clue that'd be great.

Can anyone tell me what the avg. price of food costs? I had one hotel tell me their lobster was $18 and that was in Bocas. Is this normal? Doesn't sound any cheaper than the U.S. and I live in Colorado!! I was wondering if this hotel was overpriced. Also, $5 for salad and $15 for tiger prawns.

Has anyone stayed at or heard of the Boca del Drago resort? I wonder if it's new since I can't find any mention of it. It's on the western tip of Isla Colon.

Thanks everyone for any help you can provide!!!

boise,id
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Prices

Well...like anything....if you frequent the touristy bars/restrauntes your gonna pay more.

But, many of the more 'local' restraunts are far less than what you were quoted.

So go off the beaten path and prices are about 1/4 what you were given. Same with hotels.

USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Prices

Matthew99: Thanks for your reply. I assumed that the local prices would be cheaper, but I still don't know what even the local places charge.

My worry with the Bocas resort I mentioned (Boca Del Drago Resort) is that it is on the western tip of Isla Colon and 25 min. away from Bocas town, leaving us to be forced to eat at the Drago restaurant. Do you know if there are shops and other restaurants near this resort on the Drago beach?

I guess I don't want to stay at a place that is so remote from other towns that we are forced into paying a lot for food.

I was also considering Limbo on the Beach (not Sea), but I'm afraid they are as remote as Drago Resort. I did hear that a new hotel was being built up the way from Limbo on the Beach.

Thanks for your help, I'm having a hard time in this forum, not very many active posters.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Prices

We stayed at El Limbo on the beach. They served three meals a day with two drinks (soda, water, beer) permitted with each meal. Beyond that you need to pay. You can kayak from beach to snorkling spot, but need to pay additional for any boat tour. Rooms are very basic with bathrooms, but no AC or hot water. You will need to bring repellent for biting insects in early AM and at sunset. The people we met while staying here were great!

We stayed at Limbo by the Sea at the end of our trip and enjoyed exploring town. We took a cab to Liki Tiki for dinner. It is on the beach in Bocas. Yes there is a beach just outside of downtown area.

Some people we met liked Al Natural resort, just down the beach from Limbo on the Beach

USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Prices

I can't believe this place isn't offering hot water or AC!! For what they are charging anyway.

Three meals a day is great with 2 drinks, I'd gladly pay for that or anything over. A little disappointing about the mosquitos though.

So how was their beach? Did the restaurant offer lobster?

Thanks for your help!!