We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Global Entry at PTY

Napa, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
7 helpful votes
Global Entry at PTY

I saw a couple of new articles about PTY accepting US Global Entry, but the airport is not listed on the Border and Customs web page as a participating airport. Does anyone know the current status on Global Entry at PTY?

virginia
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Global Entry at PTY

Panama has their own system called Fast Pass. If you have Global Entry, you can register for Fast Pass at the Migracion office at the airport.

It is free and good for 5 years. When we were in Panama in April, we registered for Fast Pass. We were able to use it when we went through Panama immigration again in July.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Global Entry at PTY

I just looked it up as I want to do it for myself, and found out that initially it was for Panamanian citizens only... which is what I had heard and therefore hadn't looked into it any further until today.

They have now expanded the system to permanent residents (with E-Cedula or 2-year Carnet) and US passport holders. It doesn't say anything about having to already be a Global Entry card holder. What has happened is that Panamanians can apply now for Global Entry just like citizens from the other 8 countries including Mexico can, thanks to a reciprocal agreement signed by the previous government. It's not automatic and Fast Pass is not linked in anyway to Global Entry.

You approach an immigration official and they will guide you through the process of registering. Then the next time you can use the kiosks instead of waiting in line.

When I get home after this current trip in a few weeks, I will register and then do a report on how it went. Not sure how much time it will save me as there is rarely any line up for permanent residents anyway but always handy.

virginia
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Global Entry at PTY

When we applied in April for Fast Pass, the employees told us that US passport holders had to either have Panama residency or be Global Entry members. The Fast Pass website does not specify these requirements, but that is how the employees at the Migracion office were interpreting the rules for US passport holders.

Global Entry is a different system than Fast Pass, but we would not have been able to enroll in the Fast Pass program without it as we do not have Panama residency.

The kiosks are very easy to use and have directions in both Spanish and English. There is also an employee stationed at the kiosk to help you. You scan your passport and only one finger. The machine will print out a piece of paper that you will need to save . For nonresidents, you will have to present this paper as you depart Panama to show your length of stay.

4. Re: Global Entry at PTY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 21, 2018