We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Pochomil

Regina
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Pochomil

Hey again guys :)

Thanks to all for the previous advice. I have one more question. Our group of 4 heading down to Nicaragua recently became 5 as another family member decided to come along. Because of this, our rental vehicle will be full, and we no longer have room for the caretaker where we are staying who was going to meet us and drive us to Pochomil.

Is this a tough drive to do ourselves? Looks like it is a fairly simple route according to Google maps. I drove everywhere in Costa Rica when we were down last year and had no issues.

Also, is there GPS available in Nicaragua, and is it any good? I was extremely surprised with how helpful it was in CR.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Pochomil

Many of the rent a car will rent you a GPS and as you said looking google map looks easy and yes it is easy just pay attentions on diriamba city for the way out again into the pan american HWY1 there are many sign so it will be easy to follow and keep going

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Pochomil

Greetings CanadianFerret: nice nick btw... :)

Yes the drive is not too bad to Pochomil. From the airport about 1.15 in duration. The highway to there is fine, all paved and decent condition.

We have guests that have a home in Pochomil and we take them back and forth in our truck. I'd offer to take you but unfortunately it only fits five total.

I imagine that Paxeos or even ISKRA Travel would do this transport for you. They normally work mostly out of Granada and San Juan del Sur (respectively) but would likely take your business.

But if you want to drive it isn't that bad, like you say. The trick will be getting to the Old Highway to Leon (Carretera Vieja a Leon) from wherever you are starting; I am assuming,coming from the airport?

You'll start out okay turning left Carretera Norte out of the airport, but then you have to make two important turns to get onto the Panamericana. Vieja a Leon.

After a few miles and going over a sort of overpass bridge and a few more miles, you'll be getting into the old downtown area. Just after you see a glimpse of the old Cathedral on your right while on Carretera Norte, you will see a big old building on the right. It is now the Casa de Jehova church but was formerly Teatro Gonzalez.

At the stoplight with the Casa de Jehova on the corner, turn left. Then @ 2nd light, turn right. Keep going, veer left, you are on the Panamericana.

Then you'll veer right to CV a Leon. Then you'll see the sign for the turnoff to Pochomil (NIC 10).

I don't know about the GPS, but I see Google maps wanted to take me on another route (NIC 8) and I would advise against it as it is a twisted wind-ey almost mountain-y narrow road and of course some people like to drive very fast on it including big trucks.

I hope this helps. It isn't that bad driving here, just mind the people at the stoplights, the animals, donkey/horse/buey/oxen carts, the buses, taxis jumping in front of you only to come to a screeching halt, etc. it is like a video game out here!

Cheers,

Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

3. Re: Driving to Pochomil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Managua