We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Is it easier to use USD or Cordobas in Nicaragua?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
180 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

It depends. Some goods and services are priced in dollars, but most in cordobas. In a shop, farmacia, small restaurant, dollars may be refused for change reasons. Generally, in restaurants, etc., I find it easier to use cordobas. This is especially true when one pays a bill presented in cordobas in dollars, then receives change in cordobas, which can challenge one's mental math. Of course if you are using a credit card, there is not that issue. When you use a credit card, it may be more costly, as there may be an additional 5% or so charge or you will not receive the effectivo/cash price which will be less. Quite often the payment by credit card is at the same price (no additional charge or discount) as cash. If you are buying an item priced for instance in the neighborhood of $50, and you are going to pay in cash, then ask for the cash or effectivo price, and often you will get 5% or 10% knocked off the price.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Thanks a lot. That really helps. Sounds like Cordobas will make like easier.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

I found it easier, and definitely with a better rate of exchange, to change money at a bank than at a money-exchange place at the airport.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Hi - I just came back from Nica this week. Miss it already! Before I left, I went to the bank here and got $200 in one dollar bills and $200 in fives. This was the most helpful thing I could have done, since the whole time I felt like I was constantly needing a dollar or two in exact change. For me it was easier to keep track of than the cordobas, which I also got and used while there. Not one place refused the dollars, and having all of the small bills helped insure there wasn't a lot of change needing to be given. I'm not sure if I could have improved the value I got by using cordobas instead of dollars, but at $0.70 per beer, etc. I didn't really care!

new jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

We have been going to Nica every year since 1999, and find that either one can be used. Many times we found that they prefered the dollar, and often you will get local change. we used to change our monney with the sreet vendors but that is no longer so wise unless you are with a local. Better to go to a bank if you need to change. Also as with anywhere in the world when ever you change at a bank/ATM it costs you, so always take out a proper amount. Have a great time, the people are wonderful, food great, and a fab night life in Managua. Our son works for us in Managua and loves his life there! And he also loves coming back home to the states frequently!

Cheers,

Ellen byramji

Boonton Township NJ

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
66 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

It may be harder to figure out cordoba to dollar conversion, but you will get a better deal if you use cordorbas. As far as the dollar goes, they will never be turned away. The Nicas would much rather have a dollar than cordobas.

7. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 pm, September 15, 2009