We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish school for 50+ yr old female in less touristy envron

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
62 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish school for 50+ yr old female in less touristy envron

Would appreciate help please. I have scoured internet looking for spanish schools in either Guatemala or Nicaragua. I will be travelling alone and staying for 2 weeks (would love it to be longer but work calls). I have more or less ruled Antigua out due to lots of tourists. Lake Atitlán looks beautiful and have seen Casa Rosario website which looks promising along with Cooperative and San Pedro Spanish schools. I have also looked and been impressed with La Mariposa Spanish School in Nicaragua. I am keen on homestay to help with full immersion into Spanish and to speak Spanish as much of the time as possible. My main aim is to improve Spanish, however, the sites of Guatemala do seem tempting and spectacular and also Mayan culture in comparison to that offered in Nicaragua.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, I am travelling from UK. Please do not say go to Spain. thanks.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish school for 50+ yr old female in less touristy envron

Viva Spanish School here in managua right near to my place gets great reviews. I think it is well agreed upon that managua is not a touristy place. With the exceptions of the malls and maybe a couple nicer restaurants, you can go days or weeks without seeing another "gringo".

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish school for 50+ yr old female in less touristy envron

Lago Atitlan is beautiful. What you should consider, though, is that if you go off the beaten path in Guatemala, you're dealing not just with the Mayan culture but also the Mayan language. If you go remote enough they don't even speak English, and certainly it's a second language. That could have benefits in areas--sometimes it's easier to speak when we are all using a second language--but perhaps for language immersion not your best bet.

Mariposa gets great reviews; Laguna gets tourists but it's not a tourist hot spot by any means.

I hear great things about language experiences in Esteli; certainly it's not a very touristed area. We liked it there. Agree with likeeveryoneelse that Managua is another easy way to escape tourists.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish school for 50+ yr old female in less touristy envron

Try http://www.casaxalteva.org/ as you can do home stay and help kids from the area.

4. Re: Spanish school for 50+ yr old female in less touristy envron

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 16, 2015