We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living there

winnipeg,canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Living there

My daughter is thinking about moving there! Any comments or hints about this? I have never been there

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living there

Greetings ycmald: you might want to look and perhaps post on NicaLiving.com or therealnicaragua.com as both of these sites are for expats or aspiring expats. Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

winnipeg,canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living there

Thanks I will look on this site and tell my daughter also

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living there

No problem. Lots of people are relocating to Nicaragua now as some of the old perceptions of Nicaragua are going away.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living there

any comments or hints on live there....thats pretty broad. If you have more specific questions im sure there are a number of people who live here who can give their experience with this.

Keep in mind that everyones experience is very different, as each person is looking for something different. I knowfor a fact that many of my opinions or experiences are unpopular among others, but extremely helpful for some. And vice versa.

So it varies depending on the type of person your daughter is, and what type of living experience she is expecting, wanting, and planning to have.

From what ive seen firsthand, unless a foreigner has something specific here (a rental house, a business, volunteer work, etc), there are very few that live here year round and last longer than a year or so. Even with something specific, there are very few "lifers" in comparison to those who move here, and find its not what they expected and head back after a year or two.

In my personal opinion, the nicaliving forum is by far the worst nicaragua related forum there is. but i havent looked at it in almost 2 years, so maybe its changed. therealnicaragua.com is definitely better, but its pretty dead over there, and now seems to be used only by a small few, and a handful of others who are here only a few months at a time here or there.

My advice for her. Take in as much advice as she can, but take it with a grain of salt. People (including myself) generally give advice and opinions based on their own preferences, and therefore, dont always speak the truth/best way for another person.

ann arbor
Level Contributor
42 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living there

I'd tell your daughter to just go ahead and go. After all, if it doesn't work out the planes fly both ways.

6. Re: Living there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 27, 2014