We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me choose between these two options - 1 wk trip

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
601 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me choose between these two options - 1 wk trip

I have got a number of side questions related to my trip answered by very good people and now the choice is between Leon and Granada. The following are the two options. Please advise.

Day 1 : Arrive in Managua at noon. Head to San Jorge to catch the ferry to Ometepe. Planning to take the bus. Please advise where to catch the bus and whether I'll be able to the catch the last ferry. (Sunday -22)

Day 2 : Ometepe. (Monday- 23rd)

Day 3: Ometepe. Leave to San Jorge in the afternoon and to Granada . (Tuesday - 24th)

OPTION#1 (Granada)

Day 4: Mombocho cloud walk and Granada (Wednesday - 25th).

Day 5: Granada and Las Isetas (thursday - 26th)

Day 6: Visit Masaya. Go to Laguna De Apoyo in the afternoon (Friday - 27th)

Day 7: Laguna De Apoyo (Saturday - 28th)

Day 8: Early morning flight out of Managua @ 7am.

OPTOIN#2 (Leon)

Day 4: Mombocho cloud walk and Leave to Leon. (I'll be going to Costa Rica, so can I skip the Mombocho and spend more time in Leon?). (Wednesday - 25th).

Day 5: Leon (thursday - 26th)

Day 6: Leon (Friday - 27th)

Day 7: Leon. Afternoon/evening visit to Masaya and stay in Masaya for the next the flight. (Saturday - 28th)

Day 8: Early morning flight out of Managua @ 7am.

Thank you very much.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me choose between these two options - 1 wk trip

the answer really is up to you. Depends on what kind of traveler you are. Granada is more touristy and more expensive (though both leon and granada are quite touristy). But Granada is more comfortable and familiar for many tourists.

It also depends on if you are taking day trips, etc. Leon has great stuff nearby for day trips (volcan telica, cerro negro, momotombo, ruins of old leon, the beach in las penitas/poneloya, etc), but they arent as frequented as the things that are around Granada (isletas, mombacho, masaya, laguna de apoyo, etc).

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
601 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me choose between these two options - 1 wk trip

Thank you. I would like to avoid the tourist traps and not interested in bars/clubs in visiting Nicaragua. I was leaning towards towards Option#2. From your advise, I see that you indicating the same. Planning to take day trips to cerro negro and las penitas. Not sure that I can add one place to this list. If I can, which one should I include.

thanks again

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me choose between these two options - 1 wk trip

option one

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me choose between these two options - 1 wk trip

What month are you talking about because if you are talking about Sept or Oct, you can do option number 1 less people and still a good month to visit. places as Granada.Where you can say that you where on the biggest island in the world on a fresh water lake the oldest city in americas or sleeping on an old crater as apoyo.

Last ferry from San Jorge is at 05:30 pm, take a taxy out of the airport which are better prices and ask him to take you to Roberto huembes market get on the bus Managua to Rivas this will take a couple of hours and then when you get to Rivas take a taxi 10 minutes to San Jorge port and you are on your way to Ometepe, many transport will be available when you get to Moyogalpa or San Jose.

But to be 100% hones either one of the other are good to go.

Byron

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
601 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me choose between these two options - 1 wk trip

I'll be in Nicaragu from Dec. 22 - 28. Thank you.

Edited: 2:56 pm, September 20, 2013
Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me choose between these two options - 1 wk trip

instead of going first to Ometepe go to Leon and explre it then Granada, masaya, Ometepe and travel at Apoyo crater lake then managua, so you can compare the cities yourself.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
601 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me choose between these two options - 1 wk trip

Thank you Byron, the reason for Leon at the end is to enjoy the beach and learn to surf ;-)

8. Re: Please help me choose between these two options - 1 wk trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 24, 2014